Topic: Event Ref Number required

Can we have a couple of additional extra fields similar to Extra field 1 and extra field 2.
We (our sports club) use luxcal for bookings of our facilities and would like some additional fields for other data such as (in our case) Booking Reference Number.
We typically schedule staff/volunteers based on data in these fields.
It would really help if this could be done.

Re: Event Ref Number required

Hi there,

Adding additional event fields has an impact on many of the calendar scripts and is quite a big change. We have currently no plans to increase the number of fields, but since more calendar users have asked for this, we should maybe change our plans.

Roel

Hi,

I would like this too!
Because I need more fields for our needs, I already did a lot of scripting to realize that.
So - for me it isn't really necessary anymore.
But I believe more fields could catch even more users for LuxCal.
By the way: One way to achieve this would be a relational structure of the database - so that it would be possible to have as many fields as wanted. But of course - this would mean a lot of work to do ...

Stefan

(Sorry for any bad English wink)

Hi there,

If we would implement more event fields, we would indeed prefer to make the number of fields flexible and add another table to the database, but our main problem is that we must keep the possibility to upgrade from all previous calendar version. The calendar already has three "description" fields in the events table, of which at least two should then move to this new table. The biggest problem would be the upgrade script; it would become much more complicated.

If all LuxCal users would agree to start all over again from scratch . . . smile

Roel

Hi Roel,

I don't know if this would work as a bit of a solution to the upgrade problem if you added and moved the additional fields to another table.

There is currently an import feature but not an export. If users could export their current entries and then import them into the new table.

The only other solution is as you say to start fresh. With most that may not be a problem for the data. If they can keep all of their settings they can then delete just the data if they don't need it. Not a clean solution but that might be the only other option.

The biggest advantage of moving the fields to a separate table would be giving user's an unlimited number fields. The other advantage since I personally, at least at this point in time, use any additional fields is I wouldn't have an Extra field 1 and field 2 in the window when adding an event.

Kind regards,
Dan

Some own motorcycles, others ride them.

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your input!
The current import function is the iCal or CSV input. both are rather limited and do not fully match all LuxCal calendar fields. So when you would export all events in iCal format and thereafter import the iCal file again, certain data would be lost.
I will take some time (probably some months) to think about this.

If you are not using the Extra field 1 and 2 and want to get rid of these fields in the Event window, then you should go to the admin's Settings page and under Views, remove the figures 4 and 5 from all three Event templates (first item).

Kind regards,
Roel

Hi Roel,

Thanks for the tip on removing the extra fields.

Kind regards,
Dan

Some own motorcycles, others ride them.

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html

Roel wrote:

If all LuxCal users would agree to start all over again from scratch . . . smile

Hi Roel,
if there are even more things than the extra fields you would do some other way after some years of luxcal experience, starting from scratch would be a chance to do that.
But if not I would say, a fresh start is not really neccessary.

Perhaps it is also possible to think of more and flexible fields like an "addon":
"In the basic version luxcal has two extra fields - enough for a lot of people - and easy to set up.
If you want more you can add the functionality of the extra field table..."

I think it would not bother anyone having two posibbilities. Except perhaps you - because as a developer you would prefer the "clean" way ... wink