RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / LuxCal / Comments and Suggestions / Allowing for Holidays
Posted:  19 Dec 2012 21:20
Hello,

I just entered a repeating event. It happens to repeat and land on New Years Day. Not all, most places however are closed on New Year's Day.

Can I delete just that one entry without affecting the others that are repeating?

When creating a repeating event, sometimes it could be too difficult to build in, would it be possible to set holidays where places are closed?

Just asking.

Thanks
Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  19 Dec 2012 22:34
Yes, you can edit or delete a single occurrence of a repeating event.
Setting holidays where places are closed and repeating events are not displayed, is not possible.
Cheers,
Roel
Posted:  20 Dec 2012 14:16
Thanks, I just edited a multi-day event, sweet.

I must be getting old, when I was younger I would just go in an explore. I'll have to get back to doing that. smile

Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  24 Dec 2012 15:25
Hi Roel,

Regarding holidays and repeating events. Here is an idea that might work. For repeating events only, block out dates.

In LuxCal define holidays and block out days. For example in Canada we have a few days where 95% of stores must be closed. These dates are manually entered in settings. Whenever a person does a repeating event it won't create one on this day.

Sometimes you have a special event for that holiday so manual event can be entered. For example, Christmas Day stores must be closed so repeating event that lands on December 25th not created. Church is having a Christmas play they are putting on so can manually enter as event.

Another option, again admin manually enters block out dates. When a person enters a repeating event that is going to be on a block out date it informs and asks if they want to post for this date too.

Would this work and be easy enough to implement?

Thanks
Dan

Thanks
Dan

Posted:  24 Dec 2012 17:45   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Dan,

Defining block out days (for instance by the admin), like you are suggesting, is not too difficult to implement; ok, it would maybe require an additional table to store these block out days. The problem I can see however, is that some people want block out days for shop opening days, others for school holidays, others for Christian holidays, others for weekends, others for anniversary days, others for . . . etc.. So I guess a minimum would be to be able to define block out days per event category. This is still not extremely complicated. And then there are two possibilities: 1) All events in the specific category are blocked on block out days and all the other events not, or 2) All events in other categories are blocked and the events in the specific category are not.
Also defining block out days could be a bit more complicated, the admin would probably like to enter individual days, time periods (from - until), specific days (Saturdays, Sundays) and maybe Saturdays and Sundays during the Summer month, etc.
You see, I can easily transform a straight forward, simple suggestion into a complicated project wink
So, yes it is possible, but it's always more work than you would initially think.

Your second option is more difficult. When a person enters an event it could fall on several block out dates. So the program needs to calculate all future repetitions, check them against the defined block out dates and ask for each hit whether the user wants to post for this date and then remember this for each block out date. Could become very complicated.

I've added your first option, on which I elaborated a bit, to my list of possible new features.

Roel
Posted:  24 Dec 2012 19:22
Hi Roel,

I was thinking the first suggestion would be the easiest to implement.

I see what you mean about "what is a block out date". It could be completely different for region or country which is why I mentioned admin configurable. Block out days would be blocked out regardless of category for ease of implementing.

In Canada we really only have say 4 complete total block out dates, these are National holidays and being open or doing anything of a business nature will get you a fine.

1. Christmas Day.
2. New Years Day
3. Canada Day
4. Labour Day
5. Good Friday

Some countries may have more or less. As mentioned, a block out day would be a day that is illegal to be open. These are all day and not done by hours. There are some exceptions and those businesses know so they could manually enter those dates as events.

When I created the first event it just happened to repeat on Christmas and New Years Day so I deleted them.

This is one of those that things that is not a priority, just a nice to have feature.

Thanks
Dan