RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Problems / Problem with URL in sent email
Posted:  19 Dec 2012 13:40
I've got a slight problem in sending emails when an event is added or deleted.

The email which is received has a link to the main calendar, but displays the page where the calender is embedded but without the CSS formatting.

The problem seems to be that in Calendar Settings I am putting the Calender URL as

http://www.plymouthivc.org/events/calendar.php

but when saving it becomes

http://www.plymouthivc.org/events/calendar.php/

Note the extra /

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance - John
Posted:  19 Dec 2012 15:49
Hi John,
Yes, I see the problem. When a user enters/changes the Calendar URL, the Settings page script tries to remove the suffix "index.xxx' and replace it by a /. This is fine if the URL ends on "index.php" or "index.htm". However in your case it ends on "calendar.php", which of course is fine. In this case the script can't find index.xxx, but still adds a "/", which is definitely wrong.
I will fix this problem today or latest tomorrow.
If you send me your email address (via the Contact Us page), I will email you an updated file settings.php.
Roel
Posted:  19 Dec 2012 21:05   Last Edited By: Danwestlake
Hi Roel,

I assume you will update the file in the download and we can get it from there or are you going to post a download link in the forum?

I added a couple of events today and didn't get any emails. Was that because I am the admin entering them?

Thanks
Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  19 Dec 2012 22:28   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Dan,

Question1:
I will certainly fix this in the new LuxCal version. If needed I can provide a quick fix.

Question 2:
No this doesn't depend on who enters an event. Possible reasons for not getting email reminders are:
- Finger trouble; you didn't tick the box "send email now" or "send a reminder in x days" or didn't fill in an email address
- You didn't define a cronjob to daily launch the file lcalcron.php (via this file the sending of email reminders is triggered)
- You did define a cronjob (see previous point) but not in the correct way (in general this is the most frequent reason)
- your ISP doesn't allow the sending of emails via PHP (unlikely, but possible)

Roel
Posted:  20 Dec 2012 13:00
Hi Roel,

Fantastic!Works fine now!

Thank you so much for such a quick response... biggrin

All the best - John
Posted:  20 Dec 2012 13:22
Hi Roel,

You're correct, I didn't check the box to receive an email, it was also a misunderstanding.

As the admin when a new user registered I received an email. I thought as the admin, if selected, at registration and event posting or change I would get an email.

With only one or two to check no big deal. I did 9 more installations of LuxCal yesterday for my project, to check each of those individually to see if anything is happening is a pita. sad

It they were at a point where they were growing and the emails were excessive I could then turn it off. Additionally I'm only allowed sending 250 emails in a day for an email address.

Thanks
Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  20 Dec 2012 17:49   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Dan,
On the admin's Settings page:
- If under General one or more email addresses have been specified in "Email destinations for changes", a daily email (triggered by the cronjob) will be sent with all calendar changes of the last day.
- If under General "Admin cron job summary" has been enabled, a daily email will be sent to the admin with a cron job summary report. This report also lists all emails sent the last day (with the email subject and destination).
- If under User Accounts "Self registration notification is enabled, the admin will receive an email notification when a new user registers. The email is sent directly at the moment of registration.

Indeed be careful with sending too many emails; ISPs don't like too many emails (spamming).

OT: Don't install all calendars! In a couple of days you will receive a pre-copy of the "single install - multi calendar" version, and then you will install 30 calendars in 10 minutes (I hope) wink
Roel
Posted:  20 Dec 2012 21:51
Hi Roel,

The single install with multi calendars will be sweet. thump_up

If you could email me the single file with the fix for the email issue I can install in the current 32 calendars I have. wink

Regarding the spamming I hear you. Right now it's more just so I know if anyone is registering and posting. They aren't currently because they have just been set up. Over the next couple of months I'm hoping that will change.

Thanks
Dan