RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / Looking to import a Calendar and Lectionary
Posted:  20 Nov 2012 17:08
I'm hoping to find a Calendar and Lectionary which will highlight the church feast days etc - like Pentecost, Trinity etc.

I was wondering if importing such a calendar into my existing Luxcal calendar might adversely affect the entries I have already created.  I'd hate to mess things up.

Thanks
Posted:  20 Nov 2012 17:53
There's a number of iCal formatted calendars available from various sources.  Try googling "lectionary" and you'll see a few.  You can then import your favorite of them into your LuxCal calendar as needed.

If you're going to do this, I'd recommend importing the iCal data into newly-created categories so that you can keep it separate from the other calendar data you have.  That way, should you need to do any mass changes of that information, it will be easier to manage in the future.
Posted:  20 Nov 2012 21:04   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Graham,
DavidM has a good point here.
Just some additional info:
- When you select (upload) your iCal file (extension .ics), first all events will be shown. At this moment you can still flag the undesired events as "delete", so they will not be added to the calendar database. At this moment you can still back out and decide not to import the events at all.
- If the title of the shown iCal events already exists in the database (beware: 100% identical!) then the iCal event concerned will not be added to the calendar's database; it's assumed to be present already.
- Quite a number of church feast are annually recurring on the same date. So they will show up as one single event, repeating every year. This means the total number of events that will be added to the calendar's database will not be enormous (unless you're going to import feasts like Easter, Pentecost, etc. for the whole century).

So I believe that the risk of messing up the entries you have already created is not so big.
Roel
Posted:  21 Nov 2012 07:59
Thanks Roel and David. I fully intended to check it out in my imac calendar first to make sure the entries are OK.
Posted:  25 Nov 2012 11:52
After looking round the web and finding that a lot of the Lectionaries were filled with unnecessary content I decided to make my own using iCal - quite simple until I came to import it.

During the import process as Roel identified you can still flag the undesired events as "delete".  So I checked the events - a number of which I had set to repeat every 52 weeks on a Sunday - however these entries were identified as repeat weekly in the LuxCal import dialog - so I chickened out just in case the "every 52 week" entries were repeated every week.
Posted:  25 Nov 2012 13:43
Hi Graham,
LuxCal cannot cope with "repeat every 52 weeks"; it can cope with "repeat every week until a certain date (52 weeks later)". The calendar should however not replace the first by the second repetition.
I would be interested to get a copy of this iCal file, if possible, so that I can run a few tests.
Roel
Posted:  26 Nov 2012 06:43
OK Roel - thanks - just as well I heeded the warning.

The iCal file is in my Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0dqqns07emizo9/Church%20Feast%20days.ics
Posted:  26 Nov 2012 17:44
Thanks Graham.
I will look into this and let you know if there is a solution.
Roel
Posted:  07 Dec 2012 19:14
Hi Roel

Did you manage to find a solution to the problem I had please?
Posted:  08 Dec 2012 23:51   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Graham,

I dug again into the RFC 5545 Specification and came to the conclusion that the iCal import script doesn't properly process events with and RRULE and an INTERVAL > 6. The only thing I can currently do is reject the event rather than accepting it an scheduling it weekly.
I will have to go through the code in detail and it's rather complicated.

Unfortunately this will not help you; the calendar cannot handle intervals which are greater than 6.

Can events like Advent not be changed to RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1? This is a spec the calendar can cope with.
Roel
Posted:  09 Dec 2012 14:42
Hi Roel

Many thanks for looking into this 'minority problem'.  Unfortunately how iCal gets to do what it does is a mystery to me as is "RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1"  - so I've settled on importing a yearly calendar and have ditched the repeats.  Obviously in 12 months time I can adjust the dates for the following year which is a lot less hassle.

Thanks again.
Posted:  09 Dec 2012 19:16
Graham, I may be able to help you out with some of this.  Contact me directly using the address shown below if you are interested (insert "@" where appropriate).
- David

dmlux
apmats.com
Posted:  17 Dec 2012 10:47
I am most grateful to DavidM for his help in sorting me out with a 'proper' iCal file.

If I can ask Roel one more question about importing calendars.  I seem to be able to import the calendar file so that it shows under the overall blanket category on my web site Benefice Services) - but the filtered calendars do not show the iCal results.  I can understand why - so I then tried to import the same calendar to one of the other categories listed but that didn't work at all. Is there a trick to getting the calendar imported to appear in all of the sub calendars or have I imported it incorrectly in the first place?  If you check on the Services part of the menu you'll see what I mean.

Thanks.
Posted:  17 Dec 2012 13:02   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Very good that DavidM could help you out. And Graham, don't hesitate to ask me more than "one" question.
I had a look at the HTML source of the Middle Marches site again and believe the problem is that when you go to a filtered calendar, then in the iframe statement only the relevant events for that particular church are filtered (which of course is correct).
I would suggest the following:
1. Import the common events from your iCal file into a "common" event category (so just once, and not for each church). If I'm correct, you already have the category Benefice (cat ID 1). If not, you could create a new "common" category.
2. In your iframe statements for the different churches filter not only on the relevant church, but also on the "common" events. So that when you select from the drop-down menu the events for a particular church, the common events are selected at the same time.

The last point (2) can be done as follows (this is the example for Bedstone with cC=2):
In your current iframe statement

Code:

<iframe src="http://middlemarchesbenefice.org/luxcal_services/?cC[]=2&cP=7&hdr=1" width ...

add the common category "cC=1":

Code:

<iframe src="http://middlemarchesbenefice.org/luxcal_services/?cC[]=1&cC[]=2&cP=7&hdr=1" width ...

So in this last code I've replaced ?cC[]=2 by ?cC[]=1&cC[]=2, which are the Benefice events + the Bedstone events.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If at a certain moment you are going to upgrade to LuxCal 2.7.3, then be aware that in this new LuxCal version event category filtering is based on category sequence numbers rather than category IDs. The sequence numbers are the numbers visible in the admin's Categories page, so they are more easy to use. It requires however a one off change to your iframe statements.

I hope this helps.
Roel
Posted:  17 Dec 2012 15:57
Hi Roel

Got it!  Yes I have put the recurring feast days in a separate category - so I can do as you suggest and add the additional category to each church - brilliant.  Thanks so very much (I keep saying that don't I?).

May I take the opportunity to wish you and your family and all Luxcal users a Happy Christmas and a peaceful and calendar-full New Year.