RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / Week numbers
Posted:  18 Nov 2012 07:55
Hi

I recently downloaded the calendar and everything is working well.  I just have one question about the week numbers.
I need the week number to start counting on another month than January. For example week no. 1 on September, 2 on October and so on.

Thanks a lot
Posted:  18 Nov 2012 11:27   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Greg,
The week numbers in the calendar are the ISO week numbers and are calculated by the PHP date-function. So changing the week numbering system will imply some program changes (the PHP date-function is used at three different places). In Europe these ISO week numbers are really used, in particular in business. Start counting from a different date would cause great confusion here.
If you are (still) sure you want to change them, could you explain how exactly. For instance you are saying "no. 1 on September, 2 on October and so on". I assume you mean no. 1, 2, 3 and 4 on September and 5, 6, 7 and 8 on October and so on. Is that correct? And is the date when the numbering should start at 1 always a fixed offset from the ISO week numbers?
Give me some more details and I will see what I can do.
Roel
Posted:  19 Nov 2012 14:26
Hi Roel,
Yea i meant 1,2,3,4 on September and so on, sorry for the confusion here. I still want this because the calendar i need is for academic purposes so September is the first month of starting the academic season. I am trying to create an academic calendar so you can see why i need this.

Thanks for the quick reply
Posted:  19 Nov 2012 17:52
Hi Greg,
If it can be calculated which week is week no. 1, then I can easily change this for you. As I said in my previous post, the week number is calculated at three different places, which is not too many. If which week is week no. 1 varies every year, it a bit more complicated.
So, if you are interested, let me know:
1. How can I calculate which week is week no. 1? For example: The first week where Monday falls in September, or the first week where one of the weekdays falls in September, or . . .
2. Is there also an end date after which no week numbers should be displayed any more? Or should these academic week numbers be displayed all year round (starting in Sept. with week no. 1 and ending end of August with week number 52)?

OT. If on the admin's Settings page, under "Views" you set "Start month in year view" to for instance 9, then throughout the year, Year view of the calendar will start with the month of September. This possibility was added especially for academic calendars.
Posted:  20 Nov 2012 10:30
Hi Roel,
Is The first week where Monday falls in September and there is an end date for each academic semester (September-January = 1st semester and February- June 2nd semester). I also need to exclude some weeks from the numbering where are not teaching weeks. So things get more complicated. Maybe is better to include another column and add manually the numbering of weeks?

Sorry for not explaining from the beginning all the details clearly but i i didn't have the details me neither from the the beginning. I don't know if i am clear enough now, so i can send you a picture of what i need to do exactly.
Again thanks for your great support.
Posted:  22 Nov 2012 00:21
Hi Greg,
Yes, I'm getting the picture.
Adding the academic week numbers is not so easy. This should then be done per year and be stored somewhere in the database. This means a new form to specify all academic week numbers for a full year, adding a table to the database to store these numbers and changing the year, month and week view to display these week numbers.