RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / LuxCal / Comments and Suggestions / News Ticker with Upcoming Events
Posted:  02 Nov 2012 06:25
I really love this calendar and Roel has been SO helpful when the question of customisation has arisen.  I use 2 versions of the calendar on a web site I am creating for a 7 church website - www.middlemarchesbenefice.org - one for events and one for services.

What would be really cool would be to be able to extract the forthcoming events/services say for the next 7 days and have them scroll on the front page like a news ticker.  I appreciate this is well outside the remit for a calendar  but if it's not a possible function within the calendar does anyone know if there is an aoption anywhere to do just this.

Once again - many thanks to Roel for all his hard work.
Posted:  02 Nov 2012 11:26   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Graham,
Quite a number of users have asked for this option, so I guess it's about time I start working on it wink
I already did some analysis and will start working on a solution soon.
A (minor) complication will be that this kind of news ticker upcoming events list will be displayed in a div-tag and not in an iframe, which makes it "part of" the user page. The advantage is that the user will have more control over the style (via css).
I will keep the users posted via the What's New forum.
Roel
Posted:  18 Nov 2012 05:45
One  roundabout way to do this (and to add another new feature wink ) would be to publish the calendar info to an XML file, creating an RSS feed.

There are plenty of scripts and tools that can take an RSS feed and display it as a ticker, list or whatever you like. No sense reinventing the wheel.

And then you could have an RSS feed that folks could subscribe to. Now that would be a good one! thump_up
Posted:  18 Nov 2012 11:33   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Yes you are right, one could take an existing tool which takes an RSS feed and displays events as a ticker.
And the good news is: The calendar already supplies an RSS feed in XML format with upcoming events, so no new feature requiredsmile
Posted:  21 Nov 2012 20:34
Hey, Roel

Not wanting to pick nits, but the feature list describes the RSS feature thus:

Quote:

RSS feeds - calendar changes during last 2 weeks

While publishing recent changes is useful for an RSS feed, it doesn't really (necessarily) reflect "upcoming events".

It's easy for the calendar program to update a "recent changes" list, as the calendar is obviously running when a change is added. But to update an XML file to keep an "upcoming events" list current seems a bit different. I could have events planned out and entered into the calendar weeks in advance and then make no further changes to the calendar.

As those events approach, how does the RSS get updated? I would think it would require a CRON job to run daily to keep the list up to date, no?

Or would it be a matter of having the RSS feed filtered and sorted by some sort of date tag to make this happen?

cool Ray
Posted:  21 Nov 2012 23:40   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hey Ray,
The text you quoted is wrong. I mean your quote is right, but the text is wrong wink Your are probably the first who read the full feature list on the LuxSoft Details page.
I've already updated the RSS feed description in the feature list to reflect the reality, which - luckily - is that the LuxCal RSS feed produces the upcoming events, rather than the calendar changes, for the next x days ( x can be specified by the admin).

The upcoming events for the RSS feed are retrieved directly from the database. No cron job needed.
Thanks for picking nits and reporting this discrepancy.
Roel
Posted:  22 Nov 2012 08:59
Di you know - I'd not even noticed the RSS feed link at the foot of my 2 calendars - so today I clicked on them.  All I got was:
Not Found
The requested URL /luxcal_servicess/rssfeed.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

So I looked in the installation documentation to see what I might have omitted during the install phase but nothing shouted at me.

But looking at the quoted url I can see an error in that it should be /luxcal_services/rssfeed.phq -  so where do I look for the file that has the typo in it please?

Thanks
Posted:  22 Nov 2012 11:57
Hi Graham,
The RSS feed address is taken from the "Calendar URL" as specified on the admin's Settings page. So I expect there is a typo in your Calendar URL on the Settings page (2nd item from the top).

Btw: The various RSS feeds on the Middle Marches site work fine.
Roel
Posted:  22 Nov 2012 13:06
Perfect - thanks Roel - had to be finger trouble on my part.  As you say, both feeds work beautifully. thump_up
Posted:  23 Nov 2012 07:15
Just as a follow up to this.  I have a 'filtered' calendar on each of the church home pages. Is there any way to 'filter' the RSS feed to match the calendar at all Roel please?  At the moment the feed is for all of the churches.

Thanks
Posted:  23 Nov 2012 11:23   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Graham,
Nobody ever remarked this before, but you've got a point here.
I agree, the RSS feed should match the currently displayed calendar events. So if a filter (category or user) is applied to the calendar, the same filter should also be applied to the RSS feed.
I will implement this change, test it and send you the updated files by email shortly (tonight or tomorrow).
Roel
Posted:  24 Nov 2012 06:05
I seem to be ever in your debt Roel.  Very many thanks for this 'tweak'.