RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / PHP Sessions not working
Posted:  17 May 2012 22:48   Last Edited By: Roel B.
I ran the LuxCal configuration tool and got the following result.  All other items were clean.

Error: PHP session variables not available. Check if sessions are enabled in the PHP installation on your server.

I am on a GoDaddy Linux hosting and Roel has sorted this out for me (see below) but thought I would post here in case someone else has run into this.

Have a good day!
Thanks.

Art
Tallahassee, Florida
Posted:  18 May 2012 22:08   Last Edited By: Roel B.
If PHP sessions are not working, there can be several problems.
First of all in the PHP installation sessions can be disabled, which normally is never the case.
However what happens occasionally is that in the PHP installation the "session.save_path" is not specified. You can verify this by launching with your browser the phpinfo.php file in the pages directory of your LuxCal installation (www.yoursite.xxx/yourcal/pages/phpinfo.php). This will show a page with all PHP installation settings. If on this page you search for "sessions", you will find the Sessions section and close to the end of this section you can see if the "session.save_path" has been specified.
If not, try to specify this path in the php.ini file (or ask your ISP to specify a valid path). A good educated guess for a valid path would be "/tmp".
Roel
Posted:  26 Aug 2012 15:58
Ataylor,
Did you ever get it working?
Did you edit the php5.ini file? How?

I am having a similar problem.

Jim
Posted:  26 Aug 2012 18:27   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi there,

I am having the same issue on a free host: byethost.

When I try to access the page I see:-
not permitted (index: luxcal=a:2:{i:0;s:1:"2";i:1;N;})
in the browser.

One strange thing is that when I check the MySQL database I see that 'Collation' is 'latin1_swedish_ci'... don't know whether this is relevant...!

The 'save.session_path' in the phpinfo.php file is:- /php_sessions

Not sure where to find the php.ini file to check...

Allan
Posted:  26 Aug 2012 20:11   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Allan,
I solved my problem by creating a custom php5.ini file
I followed these instructions to create one
http://www.bluebrad.com/training-and-how-to/56-the-interweb/355-php-ini-phpini-php5ini-on-godaddy-server-linux-server.html
Don't know if it will help you or not but it solved my problem.

Jim
Posted:  26 Aug 2012 21:01
HI Jim,

Thanks for replying - but I can't see php.ini or php5.ini anywhere on the host.

All of the users files on the host are listed in 'htdocs' and there appears to be no system files accessible.

Allan
Posted:  26 Aug 2012 21:10   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Allan
Launch www.yoursite.xxx/yourcalendar/pages/phpinfo.php
scroll down to where it shows the "Configuration File (php.ini) Path" (not far from the top)  being used.

Jim
Posted:  27 Aug 2012 02:48   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi again,

The php sessions issue is no longer - at least the test report using the LuxCal Configuration Tool shows no errors - but the calendar index page will still not come up .

Allan
Posted:  28 Aug 2012 01:15
Alan,
What operating systems and browsers have you tried to access the calendar with?
Is it a public calender you can give the web address here?

Jim
Posted:  28 Aug 2012 02:26
Roel,

I have been working on this for a couple of days now and seem to have narrowed down the issue...

I can access:-
http://thompa.byethost9.com/calendar/lcconfig270.php
and the 'test' reports everything 'green'.

however, when I try to access:
http://thompa.byethost9.com/calendar/index.php

I see the error
not permitted (index: luxcal=a:2:{i:0;s:1:"2";i:1;N;})

I contacted the host's support and they checked sessions and server cache and said there was no problem.... for a time I was able to work in IE... but all three browsers now have the issue when accessing the page.

Seems very weird to me... but I still think that it is a host issue..... unless you know better!?

Allan
Posted:  28 Aug 2012 10:45   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Allan,
This is not a host issue. This is because LuxCal is too strict on checking the validity of your "remember me" cookie. I guess you used a very short username/password.
I've fixed this issue and have sent you an updated toolbox.php file by email.
Sorry for the inconvenience. But security is important and it is sometimes difficult to strike the balance between what's valid and what looks suspicious.
Roel
Posted:  28 Aug 2012 14:55
Roel,

Quite understand... but for the calender, my username is 10 characters long and password 6 characters.

Will upload the updated toolbox.php file and report how it goes.

thanks again for you help!

Allan