RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / Email on Windows server
Posted:  10 Nov 2011 20:50
Hi,

I just installed and this looks great.
I can't get email to send.  I am on a Windows server and need to send using SMTP, is that possible?
Cliff
Posted:  11 Nov 2011 22:59
Hello Cliff,

Unfortunately it is currently not possible to send email using SMTP. The scripting language PHP doesn't support SMTP mail directly; PHP suggests to use the "PEAR's Mail package" to be able to send larger number of emails using SMTP.
So far, also because only very few LuxCal  users asked for SMTP mail, we did not implement the "PEAR's Mail package ".

Roel
Posted:  15 Nov 2011 15:38
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry to hear it won't work, possibly you'll consider it in the future?
Posted:  27 Dec 2012 18:15
Hi Again,

We have since moved our site to a VPS, so I can now install whatever is needed to send email.  It's still a Windows device.
Is there a way to send email on a Windows server?

Thanks, Cliff
Posted:  27 Dec 2012 21:36
Hi Cliff,

I just took a quick look at the settings and it doesn't show any, unless I missed it, configuration settings for email. It must be hard coded in the script someplace. I would think it is using PHP mail(), I could be wrong.

Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  28 Dec 2012 00:26   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Cliff,
Like Dan said, the calendar is using PHP mail. If you need authenticated SMTP mail, some programming will be needed.
In the file toolbox.php, on line 183 you will find the sendMail function (on line 213 the email is actually sent). This mail function needs to be replace by a SMTP mail function. There are several free SMTP mail solutions on the web, but some PHP skills will be required.
Roel
Posted:  28 Dec 2012 13:25
Hi Roel,

PHP Mail seems pretty standard. The other two options I've seen in scripts or programs are SMTP and Sendmail. They must have some reasons for adding them if PHP Mail is pretty standard.

Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  28 Dec 2012 15:35   Last Edited By: Roel B.
The problem with PHP mail is:
1. ISPs don't like their customers to send large numbers of emails from their servers (spamming), because their servers can get black-listed. And once black-listed it will affect all customers of that ISP. Therefore they normally set an upper limit.
2. PHP mail doesn't require any form of authentication. Anybody can write a small PHP script and send emails, pretending they (the sender) are Queen Victoria.
So PHP mail is fine for sending a limited number of emails per day with non-confidential data.

The problem with SMTP mail is:
1. You need to have a good knowledge of how to work with sockets (communication endpoints). This is not the biggest problem, it can be learned.
2. The biggest problem with sending SMTP mails from PHP however is that it often depends on how the server is configured. So there is no generic solution to this.
Since LuxCal users all use their own ISP (server), it's very difficult to add a general SMTP mail solution to LuxCal.
If it would be easy, I would have added an SMTP mail function to LuxCal ages ago.
Roel
Posted:  29 Dec 2012 04:26
Any of the ones that I have seen in the last couple of years that offered SMTP also had fields for all of the required parameters that needed to be set for server, authentication and even non standard ports. It takes all the guess work out of the equation I imagine doing it that way. It's no different then setting up Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird or any other email client for sending email.

If people are using LuxCal for personal use or even a small group of people for reminders I'm sure PHP Mail would always be fine and never a problem. With the multiple calendars on a single installation you have been working on for handling larger needs, PHP Mail will end up being an issue down the road.

The project I'm working on now isn't even close to being an issue but with a 100 or 200 calendars and enough users getting reminders and new registrations it could really be a problem if emails can't be sent because PHP mail became a problem.

Dan