RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / LuxCal / Comments and Suggestions / Alternative to mouseover popup to diplay event details
Posted:  01 Apr 2011 18:48
First of all this is a great calendar.  Quick, simple, and intuitive.  I've got a question; is it possible to be able to click on an event title and get either a popup html window where the meeting description (and other details) are displayed, or a version of upcoming.php?  That way, hyperlinks could be followed, which seems to only be currently available via the Upcoming Events page.

Thanks
Posted:  01 Apr 2011 20:58   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi,
Is the reason you're asking for a version of the Upcoming view when clicking an event only to have active hyperlinks available?
If you add hyperlinks to the description field of an event, in the format indicated in the Event window:

[ www.thewebsite.com | sitename ] or [ http://www.thewebsite.com | sitename ] or [ https://www.thewebsite.com | sitename ]

then these hyperlinks are displayed as active links in Month view, just underneath the event.
Maybe I misunderstood your question . . .
Roel
Posted:  01 Apr 2011 22:50
Not exactly (although thanks for the hyperlink hint - I thought the brackets were for clarity and not functionality), I'd like to be able to bring up a pop up html window similar to the one for creating an event, without the buttons & options, where the description could be displayed, reference documents could be hyperlinked to, etc.  Basically, the same values that are displayed in the mouseover window (Nothing wrong with that method, it's just that sometimes a visitor might want to bring up the details for a meeting or event and leave it up without having to hold the mouse over the event).

Thanks
Posted:  02 Apr 2011 02:35
Yes, I like this idea too.  I try to keep the calendar grid as uncluttered as possible so like to make all entries brief and on one line.  The mouseover for the details is very useful indeed as it is quick and simple, and I can flick through a number of entries much faster than I could with a popup window. 

However, currently the only way to get the very useful hyperlink - to a web page or file relevant to the calendar entry - is by having a second line on the grid square, which messes up my simple system of one line per entry.  The sort of popup envisaged by ctheobald would be perfect for this, especially if the mouseover noted that links existed for that entry. Even better if it showed the titles of the links so one could get an idea of what they are without having to open the popup and then the link.
Posted:  02 Apr 2011 08:10
Hi guys,
Adding a pop up HTML window showing all event details with active hyperlinks (if defined in the description) is not very difficult. I'll see what can be done for the next sub-release (V2.4.1).

Currently, in the various views,  clicking the event opens up the current Event window with buttons for editing/deleting the event.
What action should call up this "view-only" window? Any suggestions?
Roel
Posted:  02 Apr 2011 23:57
Roel,

Thanks for your positive response. With my desire for simplicity I would not be keen on a separate popup with a different keypress.  Would it be feasible to simply present the existing popup showing only the top half with the details, leaving the bottom, editing section 'rolled up' and replaced with an EDIT button which can be simply clicked to unroll the editing info and also make the details editable?   That way we have a simple sequence -
1   mouseover for details and titles of any links
2   click for popup with details, clickable links and a button to access editing functions
3   click the edit button to do any editing required

Perhaps the link titles in the mouseover and the clickable links in the details could be coloured blue to make them stand out.  And could the URLs just be written as http:// etc and automatically made clickable rather than have the brackets put round them?  They can then be quickly and simply copied and pasted.  The edit button can be greyed out as inactive for users without editing rights.  What do you think of something along these lines?
Posted:  03 Apr 2011 13:11   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Thanks John,
I very much like your suggestions.
Like you, I also have a strong desire to keep things as simple and as intuitive as possible and your suggestions certainly keep it simple.
I will further analyze the possibilities and try to come with an improved user interface in a next sub-release .
Roel
Posted:  03 Apr 2011 13:21
Thanks Roel, glad the suggestions were helpful.  Hopefully you will let us know how you get on.  Look forward to hearing.
John
Posted:  09 Apr 2011 03:45
First of all I love the calender and I was wondering if for simplicity sake. Is it possible for me to make the event title the hyperlink instead of having to have a separate line underneath.
Posted:  09 Apr 2011 09:34
Bytelink,
Some more details please!
Currently the event title is already in use as hyperlink to open the event window for editing/deleting the event.
Roel
Posted:  11 Apr 2011 17:34
Roel

Thanks for your answer.  I must be doing something wrong as when i enter the hyperlink in the description I get a second line underneath the title as the hyperlink not the title.

if you want to take a look i have it at the following url
http://oceanwalkshoppes.com/calender.php
and my test hyperlink I entered was the Mai Tai Bar at 16.00 everyday

Ian
Posted:  11 Apr 2011 19:15   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Ian,

Thanks. I had a look and what you are doing is perfectly right. But my point is that if the calendar user has post rights,  the event title is a hyperlink to open the event window.
And consequently since it is already a hyperlink (to the Event window), it cannot be a hyperlink to something else (e.g the Mai Tai Bar site) at the same time.
I hope my explanation is clear.

Btw: nice site your oceanwalkshoppes.com

Roel
Posted:  13 Apr 2011 18:22
Roel

Thankyou for your help.  I love your calender and I am going to incorporate the small one on to the main page as well.

It is so easy to use and make look part of the site

Ian
Posted:  16 Oct 2014 08:02
Is there a way to pick up the primary Jey and send it with the hyperlink or a return anchor So records can be linked.
Posted:  17 Oct 2014 22:14
I guest this would be possible, although it's not quite clear to me what you really want.
Do you mean the primary key of the events table (i.e. the event ID) and to where do you want this returned?
Roel