RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / 2.40 upgrade encoding problem
Posted:  22 Mar 2011 20:39
I tried to upgrade form 2.32 to 2.40
the encoding was utf8

and now, when I try to upgrade- all data in Hebrew is displayed as "???" in the tables it appears OK but on the way to the screen, something is lost/ converted into "???"

where could be the problem? how to overcome it?

BTW, on the 240.zip there is "config.php" file...
Posted:  22 Mar 2011 23:32   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Yossi,
I don't know.  In version 2.4.0 nothing has changed with regard to the character encoding.
If I remember well, you had a similar kind of problem last February. And then you said in an email:
<quote>
gotitttttttttttttttttttttt

the following line was missing
mysql_set_charset('utf8',$link);

<end quote>

I have not added this line in LuxCal, because the mysql_set_charset function was added to MySQL as of version 5.0.7 and I didn't want LuxCal to be dependent on this version.

So maybe adding this line again will do the trick.
Hopefully this helps.
Roel

PS. Thanks for mentioning the config.php file.
Posted:  24 Mar 2011 21:37
thanks for reminding me

BUT! I think it'll be a good idea to tell in the manual that non- English charset users might benefit if they add the line "mysql_set_charset('utf8',$link);" at index.php after the $link definitions

BTW, why not put this line there as standard? will it cause any harm?

BTW(2) at release_note....html you tell to delete upgrade24.php but the file is upgrade240.php
Posted:  24 Mar 2011 23:32   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Thanks Yossi,

I would like to add the line "mysql_set_charset('utf8',$link);" to the index.php file, but if I do, the existing installations using special characters (like é, è, à, ë, etc.) will not display correctly anymore. If I can find a MySQL function to change the character encoding in the database tables, I will add the line in a new release and convert the database char encoding during upgrade.

Changed the file name to upgrade240.php. Much appreciated!
Roel