RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / New user/installation - Can't log in
Posted:  22 Nov 2010 16:50
I just installed 2.3.0 on my site.  Everything in my configuration seems to be working correctly, except that I can't log in.  The log-in screen appears; I enter the correct username and password, and simply get returned to the public view.

Someone else posted about this same problem, but there wasn't any solution posted. Any ideas what I might have wrong?  Cookies are enabled, and my site is running PHP 5.2.0.
Posted:  22 Nov 2010 23:44   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi,
Cookies enabled and PHP 5.2.0, that is fine.
This problem was reported only a few times. I'm almost sure this has something to do with enabling sessions in the PHP config.
When you log in, your credentials are stored in a PHP session; if PHP sessions are not enabled, your credentials will be forgotten and you will be considered a Public User (who has to log in).

Roel
Posted:  23 Nov 2010 18:34   Last Edited By: Roel B.
That did it.  thump_up  I had to edit the php.ini file to enable sessions.
Thanks.
Posted:  16 Dec 2010 01:34   Last Edited By: Roel B.
thump_upthump_upthump_up Roel, I am up and running .. thank you .. I found the php.ini in the control panel and was able to enable session using ipower webs proprietary tool. I am now in ;o)
Thank you again ..
Antoine
Posted:  22 Aug 2011 14:11   Last Edited By: Roel B.
I have the same problem with Antoine, but I don't know what to do. I saw that you suggested you send a script that would help, if you could do that to me or assistance with enable the sessions in php.ini

I need your help please.
Thank you very much in advance.
Alessandro.
Posted:  22 Aug 2011 16:17
Buongiorno Alessandro,
It could be that also in you case sessions are not enabled in PHP on your server.
But it is too early to draw conclusions; first I need some further details:
- Did the installation run without problems?
- Did you copy the content for the config.php file with a plain text editor (notepad, or notepad++ or something similar)?
- What happens exactly when you launch the calendar? Does it start without error messages? Does it display the Log In screen?
- If the Log In screen displays, are you sure you are using the right calendar password (not to be confused with the MySQL database password)
- What happens exactly when you log in?
Roel
Posted:  23 Aug 2011 15:10   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Buongiorno Roel, thanks for your quick response.

well, let's see.
-The installation did not generate problemsthump_up
-Yes, I did copy the content for the config.php file with "notepad++"thump_up
- Everything starts well when I launch the calendar, I mean as expected . No error messages, the Log In screen it display.
-I am sure I am using the correct calendar user and password
-When I click on log in the luxcal shows me the login screen, fill correctly the data and I click in, but do not start my session, only shows me back to public view.:(

Therefore I can not use the luxcal functions. That's a problem because I need it.
Thanks again for your attention being.
Alessandro
Posted:  23 Aug 2011 18:07   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hello again Alessandro,
This indeed looks like a problem with the PHP session mechanism.
This can normally have two reasons:
1. Cookies are disabled in your browser (the PHP session mechanism uses cookies)
If not sure you can check this in the options of your browser.
2. Sessions are disabled in the PHP installation on your server.
To check this launch http://www.your-site.it/calendar-folder/pages/phpinfo.php.
This will show all PHP installation settings. Find the section session (± 2/3 down) and have a look if sessions are set to enabled. If in doubt, send me a screenshot by email.

If sessions are disabled, you will have to find a way to enable them, but that's the next step.
Roel
Posted:  24 Aug 2011 15:52   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hello Roel,

Well, I have reviewed what you sent me

1. Cookies are enable in my browser
2. I found that sessions are enabled (if you want to give me your email address and I send you the screenshot)

:( I don't know what to do, I think the problem is MySQL database, but you have to give me your email address for me to prove it and show you why,

but thanks for all your time
I hope your answer and email to solve this

THANK YOU, VERY MUCH!
Alessandro
Posted:  24 Aug 2011 17:43
You can find my email address on the Contact Us page.
Could you also send me the URL of your calendar installation and the user name and password.
(Once we have solved the problem, you can change the password)
Roel
Posted:  04 Aug 2012 23:01
guys,

perhaps some-one could help me out on the login-issue.?

I have run the lcconfig270-script and the results tell me
that sessions need to be enabled on the server-side.

So Ik know I have t put a php.ini file on the server.

But could some-one please tell me the exact content of that specific php.ini file?

With the following code, I did not get it to work:
<?php
$parm[] = "session.auto_start = On";
$parm[] = "session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440";
?>

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.
Regards, Pierre
Posted:  04 Aug 2012 23:55   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Pierre,

Each PHP installation has a php.ini file, so this file is already available (normally one for each user).
The question is: Have sessions been enabled in the PHP installation? You can easily check this by launching your calendar URL followed by /pages/phpinfo.php; so for example: http://www.yoursite.xxx/calendar/pages/phpinfo.php. Now you will get a list with all PHP installation settings. Scroll down to the section session (sections are in alphabetical order) and have a look at the first line (Session Support).
If session support is enabled, which is most likely the case, then have a look at the value of the "session.save_path" in the lower part of the table. Often this value causes sessions not to work. So far I've only seen "no value" or "/tmp" working.
If you have a different value, try via your ISP's Control Panel to get access to your php.ini file and set "session.save_path = "/tmp". If there is a semicolon (";") at the start of the line, remove it.
Hope this helps,
Roel
Posted:  05 Aug 2012 05:46
hi Roel,

thanks for your reply.
- I checked phpinfo.php, it shows that session support is enabled.
- the "session.save_path" value is "2;/var/tmp".
So the php.ini file I made reads exactly:
<?
session.save_path = 2;/var/tmp
?>

and I have put this file in the calendar script directory.
But still when testing with the lcconfig270.php script, the result is: "Error: PHP session variables not available. Check if sessions are enabled in the PHP installation on your server".

Any other suggestions to get this solved are highly appreciated.
Kind regards, Pierre
Posted:  05 Aug 2012 11:45
Hello again Pierre,
I had a look at the internet (e.g. "where to put php.ini") and have the impression that it's not always sure that php.ini in the calendar root will work.
I would suggest to first check if your php.ini file in the calendar root is really being used by PHP. To check this, you could for instance change the session.save_path from "2;/var/tmp " to just "/tmp" and then launch phpinfo.php to see if this change is taken into account by PHP. If so, you might as well check with lcconfig270.php if sessions are working now (because "/tmp" is the most used location for session.save_path).
I don't know if you are running your own server, but if so, you may need to restart the server after you changed the php.ini file.
Please let us know the outcome.
Regards, Roel
Posted:  07 Aug 2012 22:46
hi Roel,

I did the check you proposed,
- php.ini is in the calender directory
- wen I run phpinfo.php, I see that the changes in the php.ini file are not used ata ll.

I have the website and script hosted at a german hosting provider: strato.de.
I will send them an email to see find out what it might be as well.

If you still might have some suggestions, I am all ears !!!

Regards, Pierre
Posted:  10 Aug 2012 13:15
hi Roel,

I am getting a bit deperate. I checked with strato.de (the provider)
I found out the right format for entering the commands in php.ini.

When I try to start the calender-script, I get this message back:
"Fatal error: session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: Failed to initialize storage module: files (path: ) in /mnt/webi/b0/96/53398696/htdocs/linski_cal/lcconfig270.php on line 41"

Any other thoughts from your side would be highly appreciated.

Regards, Pierre
Posted:  10 Aug 2012 22:14
session_start() (in the error message) is just a PHP function to start the session mechanism. What I'm trying to say is that the error is not because of a problem in the lcconfig270.php script; the error is caused by a PHP session problem on the strato server.

Because the error says "Failed to initialize storage module: files (path: )", it could be that you are on the right track, but just entered the wrong value for session.save_path. Have you already tried "session.save_path = /tmp "?

Roel
Posted:  16 Aug 2012 21:44
hi Roel,

I tried several options during the last day. But I didn't get any further yet.
So unfortunately I had to decide to switch over to another event script.
You can check my website for the result.

Anyway I would like to thank you with the help you have provided me sofar.
Very much appreciated.

Regards, Pierre
Posted:  27 Nov 2012 03:53
I also am having problems loggin in,

I can confirm that sessions are enabled and that my broweser is accepting cookies but still cant log in.

I get no error message unless I use an incorrect username or password, if I use the correct username and password the login box disappears and the calendar is still in the public view

Any ides would be greatly appreciated .....

Thanks in advance
Posted:  27 Nov 2012 12:13   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi there,

This is the typical effect of PHP-sessions which are not working.
It works as follows:
- You log in with the correct un and pw (no error message because the log-in is successful)
- LuxCal stores your user id in a PHP session variable
- The PHP session didn't work (this of course is the question !?)
- LuxCal reloads the calendar and, if it doesn't find the user id in the PHP session variable, falls back to Public View.

You are saying that sessions are enabled, but are you sure the sessions really work? Sometimes in the PHP installation sessions are enabled, but the "session.save_path" is wrong causing the sessions to fail.
You can have a look at the PHP session installation parameters by launching www.yoursite.xxx/yourcalendar/pages/phpinfo.php and scroll down to "session".
I suggest to download the config tool from the Downloads page of our LuxSoft site and run this tool to see if PHP sessions are really working.

Please let me know the outcome.
Roel
Posted:  27 Nov 2015 16:51
I have experienced this too.
Sometimes - only sometimes - when I try to log on, or when logged on, in the admin edit category - or group or user -
If I then click on a button to edit or save, I am thrown out to the calendar-window.
I THINK it has something to do with the browser - every time I have experienced this, I were using IE.
When shifting to Chrome or Firefox , there is no problems.
I have not reported this problem, as I see no rules in when the system acts this way, and because it is not very often.
I will try to keep in mind if I can see the system in this.
Perhaps someone can tell if they have the problem with other browsers than Microsofts ? if - then my theory is not correct.
Posted:  27 Nov 2015 17:01
Additional information

When ( as said before - not very often ) I experience the problem the problem "stays" there - whatever I try, I am thrown out to the calendarview. Then when using another browser the problem is gone, and later when using IE again, there is no problem.
Posted:  27 Nov 2015 17:09
And some more

When leaving IE, my system is set to remove cookies, and my websecurity are set to remove cookies, so after approx. 5 - 10 minutes, there should be no more cookies left - that is also approx. the time for the problem to disappear in IE.
I really don't know if it has something to do with the cookies - it is just an information.
Posted:  01 Feb 2016 11:27
I downloaded the lite version but I'm  unable to instal it on my laptop under version windows 7
It's in my download file and when I try to open, I get designer 4

pls help me out

with regards
Posted:  01 Feb 2016 19:39   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi there,

Do you mean that when you try to open (unzip) the luxcal430L.zip file designer 4 is started?
If this is the case, you can maybe right click on the fie and select extract (or unzip).

Or maybe there is a complete misunderstanding. You said " install it on my laptop"; but the LuxCal calendar is a web application and should be installed on your server, as detailed in the installation_guide.html.

If you mean something else, please try to be more specific.
Roel