RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / LuxCal / Comments and Suggestions / Looking for better event notification options for Luxcal
Posted:  07 Sep 2016 18:27
First, this is the most aesthetically and functionally gorgeous calendar I've ever used.  Period.

Which makes it all the more odd that it lacks a path to getting a time-based notification, as opposed to just a day-based.

What I'm really after is an SMS notification, which I can swing via IFTTT or similar, using the email as a trigger.  But without being able to have the Luxcal notification sent on a time-based schedule (e.g. 1 hour before event, etc), it's fairly pointless, which, for me leaves Luxcal without any practical notification component.

Is there something I might be missing on this?  Would love it if the program could just set a cron based on time for sending notifications.  :)

Thanks.  Will donate soon.  Just downloaded and setup this weekend.  Once settled and having used for a week or so, will donate.
Posted:  08 Sep 2016 11:05
Hello Greg

You are right, that the notification is not yet quite so fantastic as the rest of the calendar.
Is it something like what is described here, You are looking for ? :

http://www.calendarforum.dk/e-mail-function.html

Kind regards
Schwartz
Posted:  08 Sep 2016 11:46   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Greg and John,

I see the point for time-based notifications when using the email notification to trigger an SMS message.
However, users who just want an email wouldn't like to get an email one hour before the event start; this could be easily missed during a short absence (lunch break, meeting, etc.).

So if a time-based notifications feature would be implemented, the daily email notification feature will still be needed. It could be implemented by adding in the Event window a time field to set the notification time; when this time field is left blank, the calendar will revert to the current function and send a notification email during the night prior to the event).
Maybe an admin setting should be added to enable/disable the time-based notification feature.
It's not difficult to implement this. It would however require a cron job running every minute.

Your comments please . . .
Roel
Posted:  08 Sep 2016 13:57   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hello Roel and Greg

Not all cronjob-providers allow the job to run every minute.
Then I would prefer the present solution AND a new cronjob that can be set to run every hour. ( or minute,  or 1/2 or 2. hour )
And a new field in the event that had a date and time (hh:mm).
The new cronjob should only have this new field and mailsending as its function.
This job should send a mail when the specified time was reached, and then mark the event that a mail is sent so it will not send again. Then the user can decide how close to that time he wants the mail to be sent. ( via the cronjob setting )
If he want it to be accurate, he can set the job to every minute. If it shall be within an hour he can set the job to run every hour, and so on.
By keeping the old way, the user can send a mail x days before via this new function, and then again, the night before the event takes place.
Or he can send a mail the night before the event takes place via the "old" method, and then another mail 2 hours before the event takes place via the "new" method.
The admin can via the new user defineable help function, tell his users how the condition is about the new field. Maybe also a matter of settings if this new field should be available.

How about this ?

Schwartz
Posted:  08 Sep 2016 14:48
If not asking too much. Being able to set a different amount of lead time for the reminder. For example; I might want a reminder a day before that tomorrow is a friend's birthday or I might want it on the day of their birthday. I might want the reminder an hour before I'm to take my car in for an oil change.

Instead of making it hard coded have a field that can be checked for a reminder. Then two drop list to select the reminder options. In the first list the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,10,15,20 etc and in the second list would be minutes, hours, days, weeks. Instead of the first list it could just be a field to type a number. If I want a reminder 6 hours before I would check the reminder box, enter 6 in the next field and then select hours.

If a cron job is running it should be able to do the reminder.

Just some thoughts on how it could be implemented.

Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  08 Sep 2016 15:13
Hello Dan

I wouldn't dream of suggesting hardcoding something.
My suggestion was a new field where the user could input a date+time from/on which the system should send a reminder - and only send the reminder once if succesful. I suggest to keep the "old" mail function, so You will have the possibility to send 2 reminders ( well, I know the "old" way can send more than one ).

The new cronjob should perform on the new field.
If You want a reminder 6 hours before, You would fill the new field with a date+time that was 6 hours earlier than Your eventstart - I would think it is simple.
If Your new cronjob is set to run hourly, you cold set the time to 7 hours before eventstart to be sure.
If the field is not filled out, then nothing happens.
If the "old" field is filled out, then the "old" cronjob should take care of this.

Kind regards
Schwartz
Posted:  09 Sep 2016 03:17
Hello John,

Quote:

My suggestion was a new field where the user could input a date+time from/on which the system should send a reminder - and only send the reminder once if succesful.

That is a good suggestion. Nice and simple. For my event at 10:00 am on Wednesday September 14th, I select "Reminder" and enter September 13th and 09:00.

Quote:

I suggest to keep the "old" mail function, so You will have the possibility to send 2 reminders ( well, I know the "old" way can send more than one ).

Again a good idea since that function is already there.

Regards,
Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  09 Sep 2016 18:41
Thanks for the good feedback, folks.  I think that a 15 minute resolution on crons is all that's needed... i.e. not every 1 minute... and would be non-burdensome on the server.

From the GUI POV, I'd think having the user set a negative offset time for the alert is better than setting an absolute time -- e.g. 45 minutes before this event time, rather than an absolute time.  Of course, in code you'll have to convert the offset to an absolute time in order to give the cron job specific instructions.

With this feature added, LuxCal will be seriously tight!  thump_up   And, with IFTTT integration using the sent email as a trigger, SMS happens. 

Groovy.
Greg
Posted:  14 Oct 2016 11:16
so great!