RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / Configuration settings for category
Posted:  24 Jul 2016 18:55
Hi Roel,

I'm setting up a family calendar and for the category there is the following setting.

Default time slot (if no end time specified): 0    minutes (0: none)

In this situation our son in-law works nights. He normally starts at 10:30 pm. It only allows for three numbers to be entered so I can't enter 22:30. If I calculate the minutes it would be 1350 so only 135 can be entered. Can only the hour be enter as a number so at most I could enter 22?

Thanks;
Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  28 Jul 2016 11:34
Hello Dan

I agree that the field should hold more than 3 digits.  It should be enough with 4 digits ( highest number 1440 ), and maybe some logic about how the end-time should react if the hour exceeds 23:59 - should 23:59 be the highest number or should the system set the end-day one forward, according to the end time. ( I think the end date should be moved forward )

About the default time slot - it would be great, if one could specify if the time slot was "fixed" - by that I mean, that if this was checked on the category, then : when a user booked a starttime 13:00 and the time slot was fixed 120, then the end time was automatic set to 15:00 and this end time could not be edited ( it may be edited, but the user was told : End time has to be 15:00 ). This would be very useful when the calendar is used for booking something ( restaurants tables, tennis lanes, oil shift, a seance at a healer, zone therapist )

The default time slot is a smart thing, but it can be smarter.

Kind regards
John
Posted:  28 Jul 2016 22:35
Hello Dan and John,

Why would someone want to enter a default time slot of more than 16.65 hours (999 minutes)? I hope Dan's son in law isn't working more than 16 hours every night sad

And John, you are right, it can be smarter. But who has to do the programming? Exactly ME wink

I can easily change the number of digits to 4 , but . . . .
Currently the maximum time (entered start time + time slot) is truncated at 23:59 (11.59pm). If the start time + time slot > 23:59, I could set the end date to start date + 1, but what should be done if the user already specified an end date?

I will sleep on it.
Roel
Posted:  28 Jul 2016 23:03
Hello Roel and Dan

I agree that it will not be normal with a time slot bigger than 16 hours, but if it is rather easy to change to 4 digits, and it will have no negative effect then...

I think I have a suggestion to what could/should happen if the user have given in an end-date.

I really think that You should try to have pleasant dreams on programming an option to the timeslot on the category, that says "timeslot fixed".

John
Posted:  29 Jul 2016 01:17
Hello Roel,

My son in-law works nights which are 8½ hour shifts starting normally at 10:30 pm / 22:30 to 7:00 am the next morning 95% of the time so in his case he would want the default to be 22:30. In this case the highest number that can be entered is 999 (I wouldn't want to calculate the minutes I would simply want the default to be 22:30.

Taking it a step further I set the category default to 999 and saved it. I then tried adding a test shift by entering the date but not a start time to see what it would have as the start time. It wouldn't let me add the event because a start time wasn't entered.

In his case he knows he is working 8½ hours 10:30 pm to 7:00 am so he would want it to automatically put in the 10:30 start with the end blank. On occasion they have him work 11:00 pm to 7:30 am so in that case he would just edit the start time to 11:00 pm.

My wife and daughter work shifts starting anywhere from 06:00 to 13:00 so they would want a default time of say 07:00 but then would edit the default start time.

There are situations where businesses can have later start times. For example the comedy show has two shows a night, 8:00 pm and 10:00 pm so if people want to register for a show they can pick either time.

Thanks,
Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  29 Jul 2016 07:31
Hello Dan

If I understand it right, You actually don't want a timeslot - You want a form for template, where all are filled in from this template except the date ?

Why can't You use a recurring event - You can edit a specific day in a serie ?

Thanks
John
Posted:  29 Jul 2016 09:57   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Dan,

Yes, I think there is a misunderstanding:
The "default time slot", which you can specify on the Categories page, is the number of minutes that will automatically be added to the start time to produce an end time (if no end time specified by the user). So, for example if the time slot is set to 120 minutes and a user creates an event with a start time of 8am and saves the event, then the end time will automatically be set to 8am + 120 minutes = 10am. So it is NOT the default start time.
Roel
Posted:  29 Jul 2016 11:11   Last Edited By: Danwestlake
Hello John,

In this situation I do but don't want a template. Let me clarify. He typically works five night shifts. Tuesday night through Saturday night, off Sunday and Monday night. They can change the days and start times depending on circumstances. A repeating event would be for five days at a time and would only work when he is working five days straight which again he might not be. He works five days out of seven in a grocery store so it can be any five of the seven and they don't have to be consecutive.

As Roel mentioned above, my mistake was misunderstanding the;

Default time slot (if no end time specified): 0    minutes (0: none)

That means if he enters 22:30 as the start time when entering the event and 510 is the default number of minutes for the category the end time would be 8½ hours later. It is not the default start time of the event

I'm glad an end time doesn't have to be specified because it shows he is working the next day. While technically correct, it would now show two entries. The end of his shift from the night before and the beginning of his night shift for that day.

My wife and daughter both work full time for the same grocery store business and I work there part time on the night shift. My wife's and daughters shifts can be anywhere from 06:00 to 23:00. My wife on occasion works the midnight shift when they do inventory. In both of their situations no defaults would be entered.

The only reason for categories is so very quickly a person can see when an individual is working. I'll use today as an example. I go in tonight for 22:30 and my son in-law starts tonight at 22:30. My wife starts today at 06:00 and our daughter starts as I recall at 08:00.

Now that I understand what the Default time slot (if no end time specified): 0    minutes (0: none) is; and not the default start time it only needs to allow four digits for a 24 hour shift. I don't know about other countries but I believe across Canada firefighters shifts are 24 hours. For most businesses or professions the longest a shift could be is likely 12 hours.

I can see where the default number of minutes is needed. I'll get back to the the comedy show where the show is two hours and then the start of the next show. They would want it to default to 120. In your restaurant example you might want a default of 60 or 90 minutes. An automotive garage might want 30 for an oil change and 90 for brake work etc.

Dan

Posted:  29 Jul 2016 11:36   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hello Dan,

Yes, that's correct.
Currently when specifying a time slot, max 240 minutes can be specified (I can't remember why I put in that limit). I will change it to 720 minutes, so that a maximum default time slot of 12 hours can be specified. I will add a comment with this limit, so that the user knows it.
So on the Categories page it will look as follows:

Default time slot (if no end time specified):    [ input field ] 0-720 minutes (0: none)

Roel
Posted:  29 Jul 2016 13:04
Hello Roel,

I think that would work.

Part of my confusion was from the wording. In North America it is quite common to refer to it as "Time Period" (length of time).

Regards,
Dan

Posted:  29 Jul 2016 16:35
Thanks Dan,

Yes, that's better.
In the English language file I will change time slot into time period.
Roel