RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / LuxCal / Comments and Suggestions / Probably too big and complicated to implement this feature?
Posted:  14 Jun 2016 16:04
There are two (that I am aware of) major free calendars where users / people can create their own calendars. The first is Google Calendar with a lot of features and Brown Bear http://www.brownbearsw.com/freecal/ with some basic features. No domain or website is required, you want a calendar you create one.

My wife and I currently use a very nice free calendar on our computers which supports networking. The only reason I am bringing this up is because our events, other than events we don't wish too share, are shared and show on our calendar. At a glance either of us can see what is on the others' schedule. The beauty of LuxCal is I can install it an create a calendar on my website which will allow us to do the same thing. As long as we have Internet access I can access LuxCal, we can't access our desktop computer and there isn't a mobile app for it.

With LuxCal I could go a step further if I wanted and I could add other members of the family so they can now see our schedule plus add their own schedules as well. The thing is..... they might want their own LuxCal. Oh sure, with LuxCal's multiple calendar feature I could create a calendar for them and make one user an admin but I have to manually do that.

Their other option is to register their own domain, download and install LuxCal. Why do that when they could just create their own calendar.

As a super feature it would be nice if people could simply register and create their own calendar similar to Brown Bear where a sub-directory is created in the name of the user etc. With the multiple calendars for a single database the new calendar is created. The tool / script of course has to be protected to avoid abuse since the current tools allow for more than just creation or it would be a single purpose tool that only allows a calendar to be created.

This might way outside the scope of what LuxCal was ever intended to be so this feature may never come to exist. I only put it out there as a suggestion.

Google isn't going anywhere, that doesn't mean that somewhere down the road if they wanted / decided too they could discontinue Google Calendar (highly unlikely). Brown Bear is a business but that doesn't guarantee their product will go on forever but could as long as the business continues.

Here is a major drawback or problem if this feature was ever implemented for LuxCal. I'm a single individual / small business with a domain that is registered. Sooner or later I am going to cease to exist which means so will my domain and anything connected to it. Of course people can still register their own domain and continue their calendar as long as the LuxCal script will run.

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  14 Jun 2016 21:08   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for this elaborate and clear comparison of the different calendars. I agree it would be really nice if people could just create their own calendar without going through an installation process, copying files, creating databases, etc.
Since I was not aware of them I had a look at brownbearsw (thanks for mentioning them) and browsed a bit to see what features they offer and how they operate.
The point is that brown bear software is hosting all calendars on their own server and they can do that because they are making money with advertisements. If you don't want ads, then for $50 per year you can have an ad-free calendar. Renting web space nowadays cost about $50 a year, so after the second person paying $50 they make profit.
It would for LuxSoft be extremely easy to offer the same service, just a "Create your own calendar" button and ask for a user name, password and email address, to log into the calendar. So within one minute you would have your LuxCal calendar. The question is why is LuxSoft not offering the same "Create your calendar" service? And my answer is simply: I don't know smile
An average calendar database (SQLite) would take up < 1Mb, so I could host some 4.000 calendars without any additional cost.

Roel
Posted:  15 Jun 2016 11:05
Hi Roel,

LuxCal also has many more features than the one offered by Brown Bear software. Google's advantage, I believe since I don't have a Google calendar, is no advertising. It too can be setup quickly. The big advantage I believe with LuxCal is features such as user registration or multiple users with the same calendar.

Since you don't know why LuxSoft isn't offering the same instant creation and hosting "Create your calendar" service I think it would be an excellent idea for LuxSoft to implement. For those that want their own calendar on their own website they could still do that if  LuxCal is / was still available in that format to download. If not they could be referred to LuxSoft to create an instant calendar.

Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  23 Jun 2016 10:39   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Dan,

I agree it's an interesting thought, in particular because it's neither complicated nor expensive.

Ok, I said I don't know why LuxSoft is not offering this service, but there is a reason, or maybe I should say a threshold.
My  main reservation is that if these calendar databases are hosted on our server and it catches on (which of course would be the intention) and after a while there are 10, 100, 1000 or more users, then I will stay responsible for hosting all the databases for as long as people are using these calendars, which can be a very long time.
If our shared hosting web space goes down, I don't want to be liable for damages incurred by the calendar users.
And since I'm not making any money with the calendar I don't want to invest in a dedicated hosting solution.
Maybe I should look for a partner who wants to manage such a service for LuxSoft.
Roel
Posted:  27 Jun 2016 03:22
Hi Roel,

All very valid reasons. Perhaps there is someone that might want to partner with you on a grander scale.

I got the impression it would be a fairly easy feature for you to implement. If it fairly easy to implement using SQLite it could be a very handy feature for anyone running / using LuxCal. For example; the main site that I'm running LuxCal on they could offer their members the ability to create their own calendar for their or their families use. Since they are an incorporated business they continue on even if those that are there now don't.

In my case there is my son who may want to create his own calendar and my daughter that would want to create one for her and her husband and our granddaughter who would want to create her own. All of them could create them off of my domain. The only drawback is at some point down the road my domain will cease to exist and so with their calendars at that time. That being said, there are some places that offer free hosting that they could put their calendars on or register a domain name and get hosting.

Regards,
Dan