RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / Using .ics Files To Import Public Holiday Data
Posted:  25 Feb 2016 23:04
Hi,

My site host use Softaculous and this has allowed me to install LuxCal 4.3.0M. I am now trying to set it up.

I should be able to generate an appropriate .csv file to import data from my existing claendat software. However, I would also like to import public holiday data for the UK.

Where can I obtain the appropriate file for UK public holidays?

I see in the Files folder a set of .ics files which should appear to provide the necessary data for the USA and Canada, but, even if I obtain an appropriate UK file, I can find no information on how to use these to import the data.
Posted:  26 Feb 2016 08:38
Hello Greg

You could get the ical files from : http://www.calendarlabs.com/ical-calendar-holidays.php

You could also use another site - most sites with ical files, has the UK calendar.

You import them by : logging on with admin rights. In the navigation panel You choose "administration".
In the drop down menu, You choose : "ical import"

You then get a screen, where You choose the file ( on Your PC ) to upload.
You can choose which category the imported data will have, And You can choose a date, after which the data will be downloaded from.
The last option is useful, if You have a file with data from 2014 to 2017. You can then set this date to 1. jan. 2015.
You then only get the data for 2015 and later.
By importing, You will be able to skip certain occasions.

Hope this helps You
Posted:  26 Feb 2016 08:42
Oh - and Greg

Please take a visit at the LuxCal fansite : http://www.calendarforum.dk/ical-import.html

Here You can see a description, and You can take a tour round this site to become more familiar with the calendar.
You have a search possibility for the whole site.

Please visit it, and give Your response to it.
Posted:  26 Feb 2016 12:10   Last Edited By: NorfolkGreg
Hi Swartz,

Thanks for your help. It worked fine - though I did feel the need to remove all the description fields in the UK Holidays.ics file. smile

My gap in knowledge was the link between .ics and iCal. Being a non-Apple person, but aware that everything Apple seems to have "i" in front of it, I had assumed that the Admin menu option was for something that only Apple users would have an interest in so ignored it.

Having done some research I see that the .ics format is more widely used than by Apple alone. For the next LuxCal update I'd recommend that that Admin option described as ".ics Import" in order to de-brand it. It would also help if the help file mentioned .ics files and the option to use to import them.
Posted:  26 Feb 2016 13:01
Oops! No it didn't work!

For some reason Good Friday and Easter Sunday do not show on my calendar.

I repeated the upload selecting only those two events for upload and LuxCal reports:

0 events added / 2 events dropped (already present)

I tried again, with the same result, yet still those two events don't show, although all the other events uploaded do.

Any ideas?
Posted:  26 Feb 2016 13:31
Just visited the site: https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays

Downloaded and installed their .ics file for England and Wales (which has no promotional descriptions, includes 2017 dates but none of the special days such as Guy Fawkes Day or Halloween or, of course, Scottish holidays!)

Still failed to install this year's Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Have since deleted all events in 2016 and upload them again from the .ics file and now it rejects all on the grounds they're already present.
Posted:  26 Feb 2016 14:12
Hello Greg

Did You delete via the "database" delete function ?

If You deleted "manually", then maybe You have imported to different categories, and then only deleted the one category ?

If that is not the reason, then maybe You should take a look in the database what has happened. Those ical files can hold much more informations, than the LuxCal calendar stores - and maybe some of the events ( Good Friday, Easter Sunday ) has some information, that gives them another category. I don't know. I would inspect the data. If You are using the SqLite it is very easy by downloading the database ( it is very small )  and use for example the database viewer referred to on :
http://www.calendarforum.dk/database-viewer.html

By inspecting the database, You will probably see the deleted events - they are not quite deleted but deletemarked. ( another status ) - this is not an error. The calendar has an option where You can "undelete" until they are completely removed.

If You don't find out what is wrong, but find some more information, then post it and I, or someone else will see if we have any suggestions.

In the end I am sure Roel can find out, but I know he is very tidied up with the new release right now.
Posted:  26 Feb 2016 20:13   Last Edited By: NorfolkGreg
Thanks for your support!

I deleted by selecting the individual events and clicking on Delete at the bottom of the popup dialogue.

I renamed the default "no cat" category to "PublicHols" before any import and all events were imported to that.

Mine is the 4.3.0M version. when it comes to on-line databases I am in a foreign country and will need complete beginner instructions.

I attempted to install PHPMyAdmin but that failed because of a wrong PHP (I think it said) version, so I installed MyWebSQL instead.

However, I'm not sure how to login with that or reach my database. The default email address and password on the Login dialogue produce the message:

Database connection failed to the server

The other field says "Localhost MySQL"

Where will the database be? I gather from your site, that I need to download it to my local computer to use this tool?
Posted:  26 Feb 2016 22:21
Ah! I have just read the instructions on the Database screen and realise that I have only "hidden" the items I have deleted, not removed them from the database.

Tomorrow, when I have time, I'll see if compacting the database cures the problem.
Posted:  27 Feb 2016 01:54
Hello Greg

As You have downloaded the 4.3.0M version, the data is in a MySql base.

You could have chosen the 4.3.0L version - this version is with a "built in" database - a Sqlite base.
The calendar program is exactly the same - it is only the database that is different.

I would suggest that You create a new subfolder, and installs a L version of the calendar in here.
You can then test all the things You want ( import and so ) and when testing is over, You can just delete the subfolder again.

When You have the L version, You have a folder named DB in the calendarfolder. This DB folder contains a file called mycal.cdb.

This file You can download to Your PC, and then inspect it via a database tool like : DB browser for sqlite

You find some more information here : http://www.calendarforum.dk/database-viewer.html

You can of course view the Mysql database in Your present installation, but I will recommend that You create a new subfolder and install a "practise" calendar to test on, and as You are not so familiar with Mysql databases, it will be better to download a copy of a Sqlite database to inspect. It is easier than the Mysql.

Regarding the deletion, then beware of the 30 days.

If You install the L version and put data in it, and download it to Your PC and have problems in how to inspect the data, I can/will give You instructions.
A hint - don't put too many testdata in the base - thr fewer data the easier it is to find out what happens.
If You want it, You could send me the ical file, I could then try to upload it to one of my calendars, and see what result I would have.
Posted:  29 Feb 2016 15:00
Hi

Quote:

As You have downloaded the 4.3.0M version, the data is in a MySql base.

You could have chosen the 4.3.0L version - this version is with a "built in" database - a Sqlite base.
The calendar program is exactly the same - it is only the database that is different.

In my case that would have been slightly trickier. That's because of the "Softaculous" software installed by my hosting service. (It's a package that handles installation of scores of packages its customers might want to have available) That software only installs the M version because the hosting package includes any number of MySQL databases as part of the hosting package - and it appears that these are held jointly outside the customer's own hosting space.

I'm still finding my way around some of this as I haven't used any of these features from my host before. I have now removed the MyWebSQL package I mentioned earlier as I have discovered that PHPmyadmin, the package you mention as suitable for MySQL databases is also available through Softaculous and when installed this points at the databases that seems to be in the host's shared space. The result is I now see something a little like the image at the bottom of your page at:
http://www.calendarforum.dk/database-viewer.html

However, due to a lack of time to devote to this I think I am going to put further investigation of LuxCal on hold and and try some other possible calendars first.

It is important for me to have a calendar that works well on a wide variety of screen sizes and it would appear that would take a fair bit time for me to investigate the CSS code to work out how to improve things. (That's an area I do have skills in) It seems Roel does most of his development on a desktop, or similar machine with a large screen, and has not considered the affect of his code on smaller screens.

This web site demonstrates some of the issues. Try reducing the height of the window when displaying this forum and see how the LuxSoft and LuxCal logos hide or get hidden by the main menu. The calendar itself has many similar issues on many of the screens, with assumptions about screen sizes that just don't work well on phones and tablets.

Thanks for all your help so far. If I don't find something more suitable right off the peg, I'll be back, as LuxCal has much promise and it should only be a matter of tweaking the CSS to get a really effective product.
Posted:  29 Feb 2016 18:07
Hi Greg,

I've been very busy with the release of the new LuxCal 4.4 version. I'm almost done.
Thereafter I will have more time; so if you decide to come back, I'm very interested to try to improve the display on smaller screens.
Roel
Posted:  01 Mar 2016 23:32
Hi Roel,

Hopefully, you have received my email by now.

Greg