RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / Struggling with lcalcron.php in Windows
Posted:  02 Feb 2016 00:17
Hi there, As everyone says - yes thanks for a fantastic and lightweight calendar platform. It is proving very useful.
However for the life of me, I just can't get the lcalcron.php working. I have tried many ways, as per googling 'running cron jobs on windows' and searching through this forum to very little avail. It would appear the most simple method would be that which is described in the header to the file, however the task runs but no script ever seems to execute. When I look at the machine the next morning the only change is that the browser is open, and displaying the calendar home page. If I were to manual goto the address of the file, the same thing happens - it just forwards to the calendar.

In desperation, I signed up to a free cron-job online service provider ( hardly an idea situation but I thought great for getting things going.) This site reports the task runs, and does not report any errors. Still no emails though!

Unfortunately cannot figure out what I am doing wrong, any help would be much appreciated.
Posted:  02 Feb 2016 09:55
Okay now that is interesting, the script ran last night using a scheduled  cron job from Cronless.com Great! Now just to see if it will work as a windows task. The fix: The most simple thing, I looked gain at the security settings for the files and noticed they all had been 'blocked' as they have come from another computer! Good ol' windows. I'll post back here tomorrow with an update on my windows success in case I still need help.

Another head scratcher I have is how to remove the Category:No Cat from the email's

Many thanks
Posted:  02 Feb 2016 10:14
Hello speakers rock

As my provider did not provide cronjobs, I had to do it from "outside" via cron-job.org.
Roel helped me with the information :

The lcalcron script has a protection to avoid that it's launched form the "outside" (re. not from a local cron job). If you want to start the lcalcron.php script manually, or via an external service, this protection has to be removed, which is done by editing the lcalcron.php file and adding two slashes ( // ) at the start of line 48. Removing this protection is no real problem; it just means that anyone - who knows that you have the calendar installed, and want to annoy you - can launch the lcalcron.php script on your server via the browser, which in itself is not serious.

I don't know if this has something to do with Your problem, but now You have the information.
Posted:  02 Feb 2016 12:41
Hi Speakersrock,
There is no feature to exclude "No cat" events from the email notification mechanism.
However, to be able to exclude certain categories from sending reminders could a useful option and it's easy to implement.
So I'm considering to add a flag to the event categories to enable/disable email reminders for events in that category.

If you want me to send you a temporary fix to exclude the "No cat" events, send me your email address.
Roel
Posted:  02 Feb 2016 14:50
Hi guys, Thanks - I did find that out as well last night, however your information explains it well. Much appreciated.

Roel, if that would not be too troublesome it would really help me out. No worries though if it turns out to be a pain. I am planning on using it partially to schedule in appointment reminders. The notification email will go to my email-to-sms service. However the whole contents of the email gets translated to text. I have modified the notify.php however it still randomly says the Category:No Cat' in the middle of the sms - which of course wastes money and reads odd!

Great point using a flag in categories, if it's an easy idea then I would imagine it would help out a lot of people, Just another way the platform is so flexible!
Thinking about it another function (but probably harder to design) would be a default text set that appeared upon selecting a category. For example, when making lots of similar events (I.E Appointments, or reminders a vehicle needs servicing e.t.c) there is a lot of repetitive inputting involved.
Posted:  02 Feb 2016 21:36   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Yes! Just tested my new windows scheduled task and emails inc reports came through. Fantastic.

Roel, used the contact form to send you my email. Kind Regards.