RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / Previous Version of Luxcal
Posted:  15 May 2015 06:59   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Roel

I've just been having a bit of a fiddle as I have just updated one of my calendars to v3.2.3 and I noticed that there's now a feature with 2 extra fields.

It would be just brilliant if these 2 fields could be made non-public in some way in a future version, as this would do me such a good turn.  Alternatively, is there any way I can do something to permanently inhibit showing the contents of these 2 exta fields in public view only please?  I was considering installing a previous version which didn't have these fields and try to run 2 calendars linked to one database - one calendar for public use and the other for an admin (with extra fields) use.

Hope you might be able to advise me.

Thanks as alway
Posted:  15 May 2015 22:32
Hi Graham,

It's a thought, to offer the possibility to the admin to make the extra fields "admin only". I will sleep on this wink

On the admins Settings page, under Views, you can disable these two extra fields by removing the '4' and the '5' from the top three fields. If you run multiple calendars, this can be done for each calendar individually.
So, you can have one calendar with 1 or 2 extra fields while the other calendar doesn't show these fields.

You can assign your own labels to these extra fields on the same Settings page, under Events (the bottom two fields).

Hope this helps.
Roel
Posted:  16 May 2015 06:49
Hi Roel

That sounds to me like the plan I was looking for - sorry I didn't think to check the information hover box in the setting page.  I'll give it a try - thanks very much. 

Hope your sleeping on the idea turns into action biggrin

Kind regards
Posted:  16 May 2015 07:09
So I deleted the 4 & 5 from the admin settings and that was fine.  I thought I could be clever and duplicate the calendar folder and then browsed to mycal in the browser and the calendar showed correctly from the new folder - but when I reinstated the 4 & 5 entries it affected the settings in the original calendar.
Posted:  16 May 2015 19:11   Last Edited By: Roel B.
I don't know what you exactly did Graham, but "duplicating the calendar folder" is not according to the rules of the game wink
To get two independent calendars, one with the two extra fields and the other without, you should do the following:
- don't copy any folders; your calendar software should be installed just once wink
- in the LuxCal 3.2.3 download package, you will find a zip-file called 'luxcal323-toolbox.zip'. Unzip this folder and upload the file 'lctools.php' to the calendar root folder
- with your browser browse to this uploaded file lctools.php; now you will see the tools main menu
- select 'Create new calendars' from this menu
- In the Calendar IDs / Titles field specify your second calendar as a calendar ID / Title pair.  For instance 'midmarben = Middle Marches Calendar II'
- Complete the other fields and select the Create button.
Now you have two fully independent calendars, your original one and the midmarben one. For each calendar you can change the Settings as you wish; e.g. one with the two extra fields and the other without.
(If you go back to the tools main menu, you can set the default calendar. If the Middle Marches calendar users should always see calendar 1, you should make calendar 1 the default calendar)

To switch between the two calendars, add "?cal=<cal ID> to the URL of the calendar. For example www.mysite.com/calendar/?cal=midmarben. Now you will open the new calendar. If your original calendar has ID 'mycal', with www.mysite,.com/calendar/?cal=mycal you will go back to your original calendar.

Note: If you are done and happy with the result, for security reasons it would be best to delete the file lctools.php from your server again.

Please let me know if this worked out for you. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Roel
Posted:  17 May 2015 09:03   Last Edited By: grajay
Thanks Roel - Just before setting off from home for a short holiday I just had to try it!smile

I did everything as you said, and browsed to the new calendar which was headed correctly (as I had labelled it) but it is totally empty.  No content and no categories sad

When I browse back to the lctools.php via the browser and start the default browser it defaults to the new "Services Admin" calendar (even though the Calendar Tools currently installed calendar(s) shows the original calendar as default):

Currently installed calendar(s):
  mycal = Service Times (default)
  beneficeadmin = Services Admin

Time for a break methinks.  Hope you can point me in the right direction here

Thanks again
Posted:  18 May 2015 21:12   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hello graham,
Hope you had  a good holiday.

You successfully created a second calendar. The one you created is a new independent calendar and therefore it is empty, no content. It's not a copy of mycal, it is a new separate calendar, which can be filled with it's own events.
If you want to fill it with the content of an other calendar, e.g. mycal, then you could make a backup of your mycal calendar and then import it in the beneficeadmin calendar.
Roel
Posted:  21 May 2015 20:53
Hi Roel

Brilliant holiday - thanks for asking.  And thanks for your reply.

I'm confused (again) as I thought that what I had done was to create another calendar sharing the same database (as in the Installation Guide)

4 Installing Additional Calendars
b. Calendars Sharing the Same Database

I'm not entirely clear what I need to back up in order to import it into the new calendar.  I cannot see any calendar file that answers this question.

Thanks again
Posted:  22 May 2015 16:24
Hi Roel

I think I discovered the how to.  I exported the .ics file which then appeared in the 'files/' folder on my server.  Then in the admin calendar I clicked on the import function but couldn't browse to the file.  I downloaded it into my own 'files/' folder then clicked on upload.  I was then confronted with this screen:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7837606/Screen%20Shot%202015-05-22%20at%2015.19.42.jpg

Even thought I scrolled down to the bottom of the bage there was nothing to click on to - could it be that it's hidden behind my footer?

Verify Event List, correct errors and click "Add Events to Database"
Posted:  23 May 2015 06:47
I thought I'd try a fresh install and new calendars - this time the Add Events to Database button was visible, so my extra large footer was hiding the button.  Both calendars work exactly as I wanted although the new calendar failed to import the categories.

Anyway, thanks for your guidance Roel - I seem to be getting better at this.

Just one question - is it at all possible to add another option to the event repeat dropdown "Every 2nd month" - or maybe "Every X months"?  That would be really cool, but no doubt there's a lot of code involved in a simple request like that.

Thanks again Roel - this calendar is just simply the best. thump_up
Posted:  24 May 2015 21:36
Hi graham,

I admire your perseverance; at the end you always manage to get things working smile

Your request above, for a repeat option "Every Xth month", is already part of the SQLite version of LuxCal (v4.2.1L).
I'm currently testing an upgrade of v3.2.3 to bring it to the level of the SQLite version 4.2.1L, with the requested repeat option included.
I intend to release this upgrade before the end of June.

Regards, Roel
Posted:  25 May 2015 07:34   Last Edited By: Roel B.
That is great news Roel.  I think in a way I'm a bit of a fiddler and just cannot let things remain as they are.

I think maybe I shall now do a spot of exploring with the SQLite version of LuxCal ohmy

Very many thanks. thump_up
Posted:  25 May 2015 22:33   Last Edited By: Roel B.
I'm sure you will like the SQLite version.
If you want to experiment, or fiddle (your words) a bit with a single or with multiple calendars, then the SQLite version is much easier to use. No need for setting up a MySQL server and each calendar is stored in its own database file which you can copy, rename, delete, move, or whatever you want.
You can use the v4.2.1 lctools.php file to import your V3.2.3 database backup files.

Roel
Posted:  29 May 2015 08:38
Thanks again Roel. 

I've had a 'fiddle' around and I quite like it. Unfortunately the additional repeat function doesn't quite fit the bill, in that I'd really want to repeat an event every 2 months on the first Sunday for example.  Using the repeat every two months doesn't work that way sad  Apart from that the SQLite version seems to work very well indeed.
Posted:  02 Jun 2015 19:41
I should have asked the question Roel.  Is there any plan to extend the variations of repeat events at all please?  The 5th day in a particular month would be a challenge, as well as alternate months on a particular day, but I'm sure I'm not alone.
Posted:  03 Jun 2015 12:08   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Graham,
I need to investigate how easy/difficult this is. The "repeat" functionality is rather complicated and I've not changed it since a long time.
Like you said, the 5th day would be a challenge and I've the feeling that a particular day every xth month would be a challenge too smile
I'll be back here shortly.
Roel
Posted:  03 Jun 2015 12:56
I had a feeling about those repeats Roel ohmy