RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / LuxCal / Comments and Suggestions / For User Registration adding reCAPTCHA?
Posted:  19 Oct 2014 13:34
Hi Roel,

For those when the admin adds all the events or users it isn't and issue. If it becomes a problem with registrations have you considered adding reCAPTCHA?

Regards,
Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  21 Oct 2014 18:41   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Dan,

Recently the LuxSoft site was hacked and some malicious mind found it necessary to add over 600.000 fake users to the forum database. Unfortunately the attacks are still on-going, but I took measures.
So yes, I'm a bit wiser now and will investigate what can be done to add some form of CAPTCHA to the auto-registration part of the calendar.

Thanks,
Roel
Posted:  21 Oct 2014 19:34
I installed MyBB on my Seniors Directory, it's quite nice and has a number of security features. Even with those smart spammers would register but couldn't post because they required admin approval.

If you don't want to switch forum software if that's an option you might want to consider it. If admin approval isn't an option perhaps make it a closed forum and they have to email you to get added. Of course you don't want to be getting hundreds of spam emails either. You could use a form with questions to answer so you can tell if they are a LuxCal user.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  21 Oct 2014 21:50
Thanks Dan,
I've considered to switch to MyBB or phpBB, but there is no tool available to port the database content from SEOBoard (my forum software) to MyBB or phpBB. So I would loose all posts.
SEOBoard is dead and not supported any more, so I can't ask for help. As said in my earlier post, I implemented some anti-spam measures myself in the SEOBoard scripts, but I'm not too keen on maintaining my own forum software.

Regards,
Roel
Posted:  21 Oct 2014 21:59
Nothing says you can't maintain the current forum, close it to new registrations or whatever, and go with MyBB or phpBB. People can still refer to the old forum if they need too.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Dan

Posted:  21 Oct 2014 22:19   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Yes, you're right! Funny, I never thought of this possibility. I will try to find a spare moment to further investigate what BB would suit the LuxSoft needs best.

I could keep the current forum for the history, disable new registrations and encourage existing users to post in the new forum. And once the history is out of date the SEOBoard forum can be removed.

I will sleep on this wink

Thanks,
Roel
Posted:  23 Oct 2014 21:27
Hi Dan,

I've been reading a lot about preventing robots from using forms to inject data into the calendar ("form spoofing"). In LuxCal 4.1.0 I've already implemented a token mechanism to avoid form spoofing. In addition, for the next LuxCal version I've taken two more measures against form spoofing. I believe this should be sufficient, and therefore CAPTCHA will not be needed.
Roel