RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / LuxCal / Comments and Suggestions / Block out holidays.
Posted:  19 Oct 2014 12:52
Hi Roel,

The only default category is "no cat" which is understandable. We can create any category we wish including Holidays and even import iCal or ics files with the holidays. The only problem is the holiday isn't treated any differently than any other category.

In some ways it's a catch 22 situation but in most cases a repeating event won't take place on a national holiday example Christmas. You may have an event however that is specifically for Christmas and is on Christmas day.

I don't know if it would be a pain to try and program but I'm wondering if we could have a Holiday category that gets recognized as such when posting repeating events?

In a lot of cases we also have two types of holidays, Valentines, Halloween and Remembrance Day are dates on the calendar but not actual holidays.

For example I'm entering an event and that event might fall on one or more different holidays. The only solution I currently see is after I post the repeating event is I can select and individual entry and then delete it. While not difficult if I don't do it the event shows on that date.

Regards,
Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  21 Oct 2014 13:21   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Dan,

Yeah, this suggestion was made before. I like the suggestion, but there's more to it than just adding a holiday category that gets recognized as such.

Suppose the multy-day event would be "Working on project X" from 20 - 30 December. No problem, this activity should not show on the 25 of December. But now suppose the event would be "Skying in Switzerland" from 20 - 30 December. Should this not be shown on the 25 of December?
"Working on project X" should maybe also not show on weekend days, but "Grandchildren with us" (during the Easter holidays) should surely show during weekend days and holidays.
So, apart from implementing a special holiday category, the user should also be prompted for each repeating or multi-day event with:
1. "Should this event be shown on holidays?"
and to be consistent:
2. "Should this event be shown on weekend days?"
I have the feeling this is a bit much . . .

Regards,
Roel
Posted:  21 Oct 2014 14:11
Hi Roel,

I had thought about some of the exact things that you mention which is why I figured it would be a total pain to try and program the logic.

I'm wondering if an easy solution would be to allow the poster to select "Not on these dates."? You could use either the calendar pick date with the "Add Date(s)" or you could use a text filed with them to put the dates ie: 12/25/2104, 12/26/2014, 01/01/2015, 02/16/2015 etc.

Using the "Not on these dates." they can pick as many or as few as they need or want too.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html