RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / Migrate database from 2.7.0 to 3.2.3
Posted:  31 May 2014 18:41
Hi all,

first of all I want to thank you for this very good calender. I was looking for a web calender for a long time and tried a lot of different ones, but LuxCal is by far the best calender ever!   thump_up

Until now I was using version 2.7.0... now I want to upgrade to version 3.2.3.

Now the difficulty in this is that I want to "split" the calender entries of version 2.7.0 into two different calenders in the same database using version 3.2.3.
I saw that for example the user table has a change with the column "sedit"... with the new version this column has been removed and I think that this is not the only difference.

I hope there is a possibility to export and import the DB entries in an easy way?
If yes... I would export and import the whole DB entries into both newly created calenders and after that remove the unnecessary entries in each one. For example the users and the settings should be the same as before.

I hope you can understand my problem... thank you very much in advance for your hints...

Best regards,

Alf
Posted:  01 Jun 2014 19:47   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Thank you Alf!

You could do the following:
- Just in case: via the 'Database' page in the Admin menu make a back up of your calendar database
- Download LuxCal 3.2.3. Unzip and install this calendar version (as described in the release_notes_luxcal_3.2.3.html file)
- Start this new version, which will automatically start the upgrade script
- If the upgrade was successful, make a backup of the upgraded calendar database. This will produce a .sql file in the 'files' folder, which you can download
- Upload the file 'lctools.php' from the toolbox.zip file to the calendar root, start this file and use this toolbox to create a second calendar (in the same database)

Now it depends on the number of events in your calendar (backup file).
The backup .sql file is 'reasonably' readable and it is maybe easier to edit this file and split it in two files, one for your calendar 1 and another for your calendar 2. Thereafter you can import these files in the respective calendars.
You can also import the exported v3.2.3 backup file in the newly created calendar and then delete entries in both calendars as required. This however, could be a time-consuming process if you have many entries in your calendar.

If something goes wrong along the lines, it's a long way from v 2.7.0 to 3.2.3, you can always send me the original v2.7.0 backup file and I will help you to upgrade.
Roel
Posted:  02 Jun 2014 21:23
Hi Roel,

thank you for your tip!

To be safe I will first copy my original DB content into another DB and I will do the same with the LuxCal installation folder. From now on nothing can go wrong with my original installation while upgrading wink

But how can I change the DB parameters (user/passwd/location) of my duplicated installation?
The config file (lcaldbc.dat) of version 2.7.0 seems to be encrypted.

Best regards,

Alf
Posted:  05 Jun 2014 09:34
Hi Alf,

Yeah, in version 2.7 the database credentials are still encrypted.
I think the easiest would be to delete (or rename) the file lcaldbc.dat in the root folder of your second v2.7.0 installation. If thereafter you start this calendar, it will automatically launch the installation script and prompt you for the database credentials. The installation script will then re-create the lcaldbc.dat file.

If this does not work, let me know and I will help you find an other solution.
Roel
Posted:  06 Jun 2014 19:04
Ok... I got my calendars running smile

But I have a very big problem ohmy

If I open 2 calendars in 2 tabs in FF than adding an entry often adds the entry in the wrong calender.
For example... I open calendar 1 in tab 1... then I open calendar 2 in tab 2. Now I click on tab 1 and add an entry. Than this entry is added to calendar 2 (the dialog shows the categories of calendar 2). If I reload calendar 1 before adding the entry, everything seems to be ok.

Now I tried to install another LuxCal calendar (in my webspace) using the same DB with a different prefix... the same problem.

I saw the session table within the database... maybe this is the problem?
Or is the problem within the cookies/session (PHP)?

How can I install LuxCal to use more than 1 calendar at the same time?

Regards,

Alf
Posted:  06 Jun 2014 22:04
Hi again...

I tried to change the "session_name" for each calendar installation and it seems that this solves the problem.
Now the entries will be added to the selected calendar. Do you expect any problems with these settings?

The new problem is, that I have to manage one installation (upgrade, etc.) for each calender in use.
Maybe there is another possibility to handle more than one calendar at the same time?

Thank you for your help...

Regards,

Alf
Posted:  06 Jun 2014 23:18   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Alf,

You're becoming a LuxCal expert!

There are several possibilities to run two or more calendars with only one calendar installation:
1. Possibility 1:
Upload the file lctools.php, which is included in the toolbox zip-file. With this too you can create multiple calendars using the same database. Once you have done this, you can switch calendars by adding '?cal={cal ID}' to the URL of your calendar ({calID} is the ID of the calendar to use).
2. Possibility 2: smile
You become a beta tester for two weeks. I send you a LuxCal SQLite beta version. You install this version (piece of cake - no MySQL needed). You create a LuxCal 3.2.3 backup file and import this file in the LuxCal SQLite version and you're done. LuxCal SQLite has interesting new capabilities (e.g. User Groups), better support for multiple calendars, a better tool set, many minor improvements and bug fixes.

Regards,
Roel
Posted:  09 Jun 2014 15:06
Hi Roel,

I think it is a long way to become an expert  wink

To possibility 1...
This was my first try, but with these setup I had the problem described above.
It seems that the calendar can't decide which calendar to use for adding events.
Therefore I tried to change the "session_name". But this is only possible with multiple installations.

Do you expect any problems with these settings?

Regards,
Alf
Posted:  09 Jun 2014 19:00
Hi Alf,

No, changing the session name is no problem. Unless you are using Single Sign On; in this case the parent page and the embedded calendar must use the same session name.

Regards,
Roel