RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Support / Can I Google event title or details when calendar is in iframe?
Posted:  22 Feb 2014 23:41
Does anyone here know of LuxCal installations, where Google is able to find and index events (title and/or details) in the calendar, when it is shown in an iframe?

I read, that Google may or may not be able to find and index items in iframes, but can I do anything to ensure that the calendar events (shown in my iframe) are searchable by Google?
It seems that for now, Google does not find my events, even though the googlebot has visited our site recently.

I suspect, that if I link to the full page calendar, Google may be more likely to find events, but then the links would probably not point to the iframed view of our calendar, which I would prefer.

By the way, if Google does find the events, will email addresses in the event details be exposed? If this is the case, I am not sure that I want Google to find them after all . . .

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Finn
Posted:  23 Feb 2014 14:34   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Finn,

Currently in the header files (canvas/headerX.php) robots are encouraged NOT to index the calendar pages. This is done by the following statement:
<meta name="robots" content="nofollow">

This is done because most people don't want their events to spread on the web. If you want, of course, you could delete this line (for instance in the main header file canvas/header1.php and see what happens.

If you don't add email addresses to the event description field, I don't think email addresses will be exposed.
Roel
Posted:  28 Feb 2014 20:43
Thanks, Roel, I may give it a try.

BR
Finn
Posted:  12 Mar 2014 20:23
Update:

I'm not quite certain, how Google does this (wo is, anyway ;o) . . . BUT it seems that even before I removed the nofollow-tag, some of the events in my calendar were found. It also looks as if Google found both my iframed page with the calendar for a few days, AND the direct link to the luxcal folder (even though I have no link to the luxcal/index.php anywhere on my site). Perhaps Google extracts the URL from the iframe somehow.

And then, at some point, it stops indexing the events in the iframed page, but keeps on indexing the /luxcal page.
And at an even later point, it no longer finds new events (or it just hasn't done it yet . . .).

So, to summarize, Google IS able to find events in my calendar, but it does not necessarily find new events when added.

Regards
Finn