RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / LuxCal / What's New / LuxCal 4 using SQLite 3 rather than MySQL
Posted:  08 Feb 2014 17:26   Last Edited By: Roel B.
What's new?
We're currently working on a LuxCal version based on SQLite 3. We are using the PHP Data Objects (PDO) extension, which defines a lightweight, consistent interface for accessing SQLite and other databases in PHP.

What is SQLite?
SQLite is an Open Source software library that implements a self-contained transactional SQL database engine which requires no server and no configuration. SQLite is the most widely deployed SQL database engine in the world . . . read more.
MySQL on the other hand, currently used by LuxCal, is also Open Source software but is running on a database server and is more difficult to set up.

Why using PDO (PHP Data Objects) / SQLite?
- the PHP extension MySQL is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0. There are two possible ways to go: MySQLi or PDO, of which PDO offers by far the most flexibility
- when using SQLite, we're not using a MySQL license of the ISP package
- no configuration needed and therefore no installation skills required
- no preparation needed to create a database; just install LuxCal and you're done
- lightning fast. file based, no use of server sockets
- extremely easy to copy the database, for instance from your test site to your production site (just a file copy)
- many external freeware tools available to test/manage the database (e.g. phpLiteAdmin)
- PDO supports various database engines, so easy switch-over to other databases

Share your thoughts with us!
Posted:  09 Feb 2014 17:16
Hi Roel, What is that mean of "no use of server sockets" ?
Thanks! :)
Posted:  09 Feb 2014 23:44   Last Edited By: Roel B.
When using a database running on a database server - like MySQL -, to query the database a so called 'socket' has to be opened to the database server before the communication between the calendar server and the database server can start. This takes some time, in particular when the database server is a physically separate computer.
SQLite is a file on the same server as the application (the calendar), accessed through a PHP software library. So no time is lost for inter-computer communication.
Roel
Posted:  11 Feb 2014 18:22
This sounds like a wonderful idea. PDO is fairly easy to use and like you mentioned provides cross platform support.

I look forward to your next release.

thump_up

Cheers,

Devin
Posted:  12 Feb 2014 18:10
How is this going to effect SSO, if your users are in a MySQL db?
Posted:  12 Feb 2014 18:44   Last Edited By: Roel B.
No worries, this will not affect SSO.
Currently the user email address is passed on via the PHP session mechanism from the parent page to the calendar page located in the iframe. This received email address is used to automatically log in to the calendar. The calendar is fully independent and therefore it's completely irrelevant how and where the calendar stores its data.
Roel
Posted:  27 Feb 2014 04:31
I'm on GoDaddy that runs MySQL and not SQLite, will it still install and work or will  I be out of luck?

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  27 Feb 2014 16:08
Hi Dan,

That surprises me! Actually as of PHP 5.5 the PHP mysql extension is deprecated by PHP and it is advised to use mysqli (with i ) or PDO and PDO is certainly the favorite extension to be used (which I actually do for LuxCal 4).
Could you please run the phpinfo.php script on the GoDaddy server and send me the output. I'm very interested to see what it says about PDO and SQLite.

Thanks,
Roel
Posted:  28 Feb 2014 02:09
Hi Roel,

On GoDaddy running PHP 5.3.24. I sent you an email with more information.

Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html