RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / General / Problems / Calendar isn't sending out reminders (1 day(s) before event to:)
Posted:  18 Sep 2013 16:17
Hi Roel,

When I add an event it is sending out email to say that a new event is in the calendar. and I set to send 1 day before event to:

The first email goes out fine but the one day before event isn't working, am I missing something I am using SMTP to send mail.

I have checked the logs on our spam firewall and nothing was blocked.

Travis
Posted:  18 Sep 2013 23:30   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Travis,

When you add an event it is sending out an email to say that a new event is added because you checked the "Notify now" check box I assume. This mail is sent directly as a result of adding an event to the calendar.

Email reminders (in your case 1 day before the event is due) are sent via the script lcalcron.php which is started daily at approx. 2 am.

If you are using SMTP mail, then both email messages are sent via SMTP mail, so apparently SMTP mail is working fine.
Are you sure you've set up a correct cronjob on your server to start the script lcalcron.php VIA PHP?
Your crontab should be something like: 0 2 * * *
and your cron command something like: /usr/local/php5/bin/php /home/www/yoursite/lcalcron.php >/dev/null 2>&1
Roel
Posted:  19 Sep 2013 17:12
Hi Roel,

That makes sense why its not working, I didn't really think about how these emails were sent out I guess it not leprechauns or  unicorns that send these emails out.

I recently moved my web servers to windows so other staff members could use them.

If I setup a scheduled task to open up the lcalcron.php file in a web browser will that work to send out the reminders?

Travis
Posted:  19 Sep 2013 23:08
Hi Travis,

Yes, a scheduled task which starts the script lcalcron.php daily at around 2 am should be fine.

An other option is to find a leipreachán or a unicorn willing to launch the lcalcron.php script daily at 2 am via the browser on their iPad wink

Roel
Posted:  20 Sep 2013 18:10
Thanks Roel,

I like option #2 better, But I'll try the first one and let you know how it goes.

Travis
Posted:  24 Oct 2013 00:15
Hi Roel,

The schedule task did do the trick but every time the task would run it would open a new window for the web browser so I had a lot of pages open when I logged in to check some logs. But I modified the lcalcron.php file and now after it runs it closes the browser.

If you want I can send you the changes I made to make it more Windows friendly.

Traviss
Posted:  24 Oct 2013 10:01
Hi Traviss,

Yes, please, send me the changes! A cron job (scheduled task) on a Linux server doesn't open a window, when set up properly, but I've not much experience with Windows servers and I'm always  interested to further improve the calendar.

Thanks,
Roel
Posted:  24 Oct 2013 23:59   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Roel,

I just sent you an email with the files and a document with a brief description of the changes.

Travis