RSS

LuxCal Forum

The place for questions, suggestions and news about the LuxCal Event Calendar

User:   Password:   Remember Me?   
LuxCal Forum / LuxCal / Comments and Suggestions / First feedback
Posted:  23 Jun 2013 00:12   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi,

Luxcal is a very nice product !

After installation and many tests, here some observations/suggestions:

1. the regexp (in php script) for "URL calendar" is incomplete and forbid use of "localhost/..." (without extension) or IP or IP:PORT
2. frequently, the popups are not with the good size (very small windows under google chrome) and I must manually re-size them personally, I prefer overlay on entire page that browser popup
3. there is a small bug on upcoming panel, the close icon is incorrect and display html code instead
4. The venue field in event form should be linked with an editable list or table with auto-complete facility to avoid repetition or typing errors
5. A field "phone number" should be useful (in event details and/or user form)
6. the language of html tag is "en" even if in other language, should be adjusted with luxal default language

Hope that help you.

Personally, I will appreciate also two other features :

7. for existing option "Show event details to all users" in settings: an additional choice "Only for logged-in users" (excluding public access)
8. an option "display event delete button" : disabled / enabled / enabled only for admin

Greetings and good luck !
Posted:  23 Jun 2013 12:04   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Bonjour JL,

Thank you for your useful feedback!
(I've numbered your remarks so that I can refer to them more easily)

1. Yes, you are right. It is very difficult to fully validate the calendar URL. On one hand I want to help the user to enter a valid URL and on the other hand I don't want to restrict the user too much. I will think about this.
2. Interesting! The popups on our test sites and computers always re-size properly in all browsers (FF, Chrome, Opera, Safari and IE). If you and other users have problems with this, we should try to solve them. The point is that the size of the contents varies, depending on admin settings, and therefore we thought it nice to auto re-size the Event window, rather than always display the maximum size window. Does this always happen when you are using Chrome, or just occasionally? Does it also happen in other browsers?
3. Yeah, found it. Solved. I've put a patch in the current luxcal312.zip file.
4. I will think about this. An auto-complete facility would be nice, but I don't know (yet) how to program this. A drop-down menu is also possible but offers no flexibility to enter free-format text.
5. We've thought about additional fields, and agree a phone number field could be nice, but so would be an email field, an URL field, an address field, etc. We are a bit afraid to end up with too many fields. Maybe one or two additional fields which can be enabled/disabled by the admin and for which the admin can specify the name, would be useful. What do you think?
6. I agree; we will change this in the next version.
7. I agree; we will implement this in the next version.
8. I agree; we will implement a "display event delete button": disabled / enabled in the next LuxCal version. We believe that "enabled only for admin" is redundant. The admin has always all possibilities, so "disabled" automatically means "enabled only for admin". But maybe "enabled only for manager" would be useful (manager is the new access right added in v3.1). What do your think?

Thanks again for you interesting feedback,
Roel
Posted:  23 Jun 2013 13:49   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi Roel,

1. ok
2. ok, no problem with FF or IE8, but only for chrome (have lastest version), appears mainly on 'Add event' and 'Login' popups that are very small. With Chrome, the problem disappears on remote hosting (internet) and persist on local pc hosting (my pc)
3. ty
4. I know that jquery/jqueryui may be heavy on your interface that is powerful, but there is custom builder to have js size depending on desired features, moreover ajax is very simplified with it, see autocomplete and type text in field to test. A friend say me he use this plugin for jquery, and he's happy :-)
5. yes, enabled/disabled additional fields is good idea
6. ty
7. ty
8. ty, agree to disabled / enabled / enabled only for manager
9. I think that the "Back to calendar" in find page should be on navigation bar. It would also remove the option "back to calendar" that is in the drop down menu and that is not easy to find

For information, I would use Luxcal for a not-for-profit association that use mutual assistance between people (gratis, the exchange money is the people time). I use almost all luxcal settings.

The events/tasks are in fact, request/response for persons as "event request" is "walk my dog  (older person)" and "event response" is "ok for me" (may have many responses from many persons)

10. Personally, I have also need one other optional event field like "event/service really provided by {select user in list}" in request event before close/hide it, a bit like "added by {select user in list}" in event form if admin (but needed for standards users, not for manager/admin only). For your application in standard, it will rather "managed/organized by {select user in list}". What do you think?
11. Personally, I have also need one text field (as a description or Note) in user form to store admin information
12. I think your project would have its place on github.com (gratis for free GPL projects)
13. Have you plan to be compatible mysql and sqllite (database file) ?

I hope that I do not ask too, thank you for your time.

Greetings
Posted:  23 Jun 2013 19:20   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi,

There is a small bug, I use day 00:00 to 24:00.

When I click in Week view or Day view on row "All day", the event form opens with times 00:00 - 00:30 and not the check box "All day".

Greetings.
Posted:  24 Jun 2013 14:23
Hi,

2 ... this problem come with this topic about winFit() function

as say on stackoverflow resizeTo link 1 and resizeTo link 2 and resizeTo link 3

because Chrome will not allow it: Won't Fix Bug

then an overlay should be more compatible (an other jQuery plugin for lightbox/overlay)

Greetings.
Posted:  24 Jun 2013 22:53   Last Edited By: Roel B.
Hi JL,

From the previous posts I've implemented numbers 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 and solved the "All day" bug in Week and Day view.

Concerning the resizing:
The stackoverflow resizeTo link 3 suggests to use JavaScript resizeBy; this is the easy way, but it's wrong (not supported by Opera and Chrome). We're using JavaScript resizeTo, which is right (supported by all browsers).

Next numbers:
11. Short user description field. We will consider this.
12. Don't know github.com. Tell me about it, what's the added value?
13. No plans yet to be compatible with SQLite, because nobody asked for it.

If you want a LuxCal 3.1.3-beta version with the changes so far, to help us testing, send me your email address via the Contact Us page.

Roel
Posted:  25 Jun 2013 00:43
Hi Roel,

Thank you, I'm very interested to test beta version thump_up

12. the advantage is to see easily diff/changes of code, detect regressions and use of git ...
      git permit to users to send you possible corrections/features as patches, and you to accept them or not.
      I use it a lot and very useful because centralized for "public" and decentralized for everyone want to use
      own "local" copy/version and could improve at same time before an eventual fusion/merge with the "public" version (remote).
      Command client is git (linux) or tortoisegit (windows)

In my case, I change the default code (local copy) for my own changes and continue to receive your updates
      (today as zip files, but tomorrow as remote repository on github ?) and send you propositional patches of my changes
      if useful for your project.

Greetings.
Posted:  28 Jun 2013 12:00
Regarding extra fields. Numerous scripts have the ability to add custom fields. Perhaps the easiest solution would be to add the ability to add 3 types of custom fields, text, url and email that would be displayed only if it exists.

For example, John wants to create 2 fields, phone number and url and Janet wants to create 3 fields, price, email and fax. This way the admin can create as many or as few extra fields as they need. If they need an extra field they can add it rather than having to request it be added to LuxCal and it might be a field only needed by them.

Each custom field is given an id when created and they are displayed if they exist when creating a listing or if it's displayed. This might be an easier solution than figuring out how many and just which ones to add to LuxCal.

Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html
Posted:  28 Jun 2013 22:50
Hi,

The custom fields are a good idea, other types should be useful, something like one table with:

- id_event
- id_field
- id_type_field
       for example: id=>type (tag equivalent)
       1=>text (textarea)
       2=>string (input)
       3=>email (href mailto)
       4=>url (href)
       5=>date (popup calendar)
       6=>int (input with+/-)
       7=>yes/no (radio)
       8=>option (checkbox)
       ...as your convenience...
- value_field

If you realize this feature, I'm also interested, without much.

Greetings.
Posted:  29 Jun 2013 10:27
Hi Dan and JL,
Message understood! You want to keep me busy for the next six months smile

I agree that custom fields would add a lot of value to the calendar, but it's lot of programming work too.
A fixed number of additional fields, which are always present in the database and which can be (de)activated by the admin and for which the admin can select a field type from a limited number of types, seems quite feasible.

An unlimited number of additional fields with many possible field types, however, is a completely different story.
The problems I can see at a first glance are:
- Replicating data from one calendar to an other will become complicated, because the database structures of the calendars may differ.
- Formatting of the various views. Users will want to define themselves how the data from the custom fields should be formatted in the calendar views.
- My precious time. I thought the calendar was ready now and that I would have time for my other hobbies . . . wink
- And certainly more obstacles will show up during implementation time.

I'll think about your requests. Maybe a compromise.
Roel
Posted:  30 Jun 2013 20:35
Hi Roel,

No problem, I undertsand, I also lack of time.

You can tell me as you want if you have other tests done for futures versions.

Greetings.
Posted:  03 Jul 2013 10:59
Hi Roel,

With multiple calendars I could see where custom fields would require a lot of time and extra programming. Most of the basic fields are already there.

I agree, creating a few extra fields that the admin can enable or disable might be the easiest solution.

Dan

Find great LuxCal examples by Schwartz at http://www.calendarforum.dk/index.html